Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bungee Boot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bungee Boot

Ah, welcome to one one of the the great mysteries of owning a pa-22/20. II think it's it's one of of those puzzles that once you get it you realize how simple it is. However getting to that point can be frustrating. I'm still in the 'frustrated and don't get it' camp and I've just set them aside. I figure that one of these days I will run into another airplane that has it installed and I can see it in person and it will all make sense.

If and when you 'get it' please continue to post pictures, diagrams, 3rd grade level descriptions, etc. In the hope that I might someday have that ah-ha moment and join the ranks of the "I got it" crowd. Until that day I shall blissfully fly with naked bungees.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

I just made a new one for wife's plane. Will take pics and post for us all to see. Ours fits over flap handle and bungee,s then tie,s at top and wraps around backside completely enclosing bungees and sealing out that cold northern air.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

14087-000 is the boot that goes over the oleo strut bearing on the nose gear.

Looks like these parts are serial number specific and associated with achange in the seta cushions. I found this reference in the drawings. Also look at figure 26 in the parts catalog.

Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on this problem now ('53 TP). I have noticed that around the flap handle mechanism there are 3, looks like, factory drilled holes. Was there a cover for that as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning!
    Based on pictures and information on earlier threads, I made my own.
    I had already bought the control column boot from Univair and made a split rectangular frame to fix it to the floor. I stapled the leatherette to the frame and slipped it under the opening in my floor covering (rubber). I did not need to screw it down; between the .25 aluminum frame and the rubber, it is staying down alright.
    Now, for the bungee boot, I bought thick black leatherette, made a construction paper pattern (oversized), sewed it up and brought it to the airport for fitting and install. I used snaps instead of velcro to fasten around the seat/bridge tubes and one at the front to bring ends together. Turned out good and looking good too.
    Next headache is weatherstripping...
    Hope this helps
    Grizz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Griz:

Does your boot interfere with the "latched detent" on your flap handle? I'm a little surprised to see your "hook" on the outside of the boot.

Best regards,

Todd
    Todd Loes -- Waterloo, IA
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like that Grizzley. We need to make one for Cathy's Tri-Pacer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tloes View Post
    Griz:

Does your boot interfere with the "latched detent" on your flap handle? I'm a little surprised to see your "hook" on the outside of the boot.

Best regards,

Todd
    Nope, it does not get in the way.
    I made certain that the cover "hugged" the flap handle back "hinge" point so the "hook" part is up and above. I cycled it many times before installing the seats and after installing them, before trying it in the air.
    Works good with no interference.
    I had to do a lot of trimming to fit the back part of the boot cover to go around stuff like the battery box, rear heat duct, battery wires, etc.
    Here are a few more shots/details I found.
    Grizz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Took the kids out for a "free" lunch a couple of weeks ago and about turned my daughters in the back seat into popcicles. (Mom was NOT impressed.) I had mentioned on this thread that my boot wasn't there, and it showed! So I called Rick at Univair and made sure I ordered what we believe are the right parts. 12729-026 and -028. We shall see. Updates to follow.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Cool something missing?

Getting broken in by my 1962 Colt with a O-290D. I am wondering if there is a covering of some type to seal around the bungies where they enter the cabin. Looks like a place where exhaust may enter. Doesn't seem like I should be able to see the ground beneath me. After 60 years parts get misplaced and sometimes disappear. Any help is appreciated as long as it is accurate and cheap.
    Thanks Y'all
    Jackson