Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Leaf springs alignment

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leaf springs alignment

Need some guidance from those who know way more about these birds than I do. I noticed the other day that the top leaf spring is a bit out of alignment with the rest of them. Is this something to be concerned about or is it okay. Thanks!!

20200706_152121.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Leaf springs alignment

Is everything tight? The 1/4" bolts at the tail post and the 3/8" bolt at te forward end of the fuselage? The bracket at the tailpost should line everything up in that regard. Maybe a piece of rubber in there to squeeze it all into place and keep it there. Do you have any more pictures showing further forward?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll check next time I'm out there, thanks Steve!!

Post Thanks / Like

The early Pacers did not have a clamp on the leaf springs. Service Memo 35 Gross weight increase on PA 20-125, has a sentence about adding the clamp pn 13790-00, item 16 in the IPC and bar (attaches clamp to spring) Pn 13790-00, item 20 also in the IPC. You may have to drill a hole in one of the springs or even add a spring which already has the hole like the one for the “135” model that ends in suffix -05. https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...ring-top-leaf/ The clamp has a centering pin welded onto it, which I imagine is to keep the springs from shifting to one side like you are seeing. With the “135” top spring you could also do away with the rubber pad between the tail post bracket and the spring.

Milwaukee FSDO is easy to work with and has never given me a problem with field approvals If you would want to comply with the service memo if not already done.
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 07-07-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I Added a simple U shaped clamp that captured all three springs and prevented them spreading as your picture shows.
    Using AC43-210A checklist I determined it to be a minor modification, logged it and called it good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I didn't find a source for the needed parts. I would be more prone to replace the 1 1/4" tail spring with the 1 3/4" spring from Bushwheel because it is less prone to loosing it's arcg opposed to the Pawnee spring that is the same width and called out in the 2K lb GW increase on the Super Cub.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the part numbers have changed. Somewhere in time Univair went with the “same as” the 20/22 mentality. L1044-04 and L1044-05 https://www.univair.com/piper/parts/...4-piper-clamp/ or something like that. $43 for the spring, $54 for the clamp, $10 for the bar. My point was to up the gross to 1950 lbs and upgrade the oil cooler.

What is the gross wt. and empty at. of the Clipper with a 320 by the way?
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 07-08-2020 at 04:25 PM. Reason: -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    Yes the part numbers have changed. Somewhere in time Univair went with the “same as” the 20/22 mentality. L1044 and L1045 or something like that. $43 for the spring, $54 for the clamp, $10 for the bar. My point was to up the gross to 1950 lbs and upgrade the oil cooler.

What is the gross wt. and empty at. of the Clipper with a 320 by the way?
    The Clipper gained 44 lbs, most if it in prop. Now 1045 and 1650 unless you were lucky and got a an increase to 1800 lbs back when the FAA had PMI’s with common sense and knew airplanes. Got the increase based on the added HP.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 07-08-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m currently working on an STC to bring the PA-16 to 1750 lb gross weight. It will still be a while before it is done. I’m working on the stress calculations for the gear truss now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk