Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Pressure Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil Pressure Question

Quote Originally Posted by thebeerdedpilot View Post
    I didn't think I was that low when I left and that's when it started to dip a bit. I always add oil up to the indentation on my dip stick, as that's where it likes to be without blowing it all out of the blow by tube. I added more before I came back home and it was fine on the way home. But, it still seems to hover right at 60 plus or minus 3.
    replace the ball if you replace the spring

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 51-pa22 View Post
    I must have missed the answer but did the OP ever say how much oil they were going through per hr or per 2.5 hr?
    I have to do a bit of a better job of trying to determine that. If I fill my oil reservoir higher than the indentation on my dipstick, it tends to just blow out of the oil breather tube. So about 5.5 quarts seems to be the sweet spot.

Post Thanks / Like

If I fill my oil reservoir higher than the indentation on my dipstick, it tends to just blow out of the oil breather tube.
    I'm confused by "indentation on the dipstick", my O-320 dipstick and all the other O-320 dipsticks I have seen (like a dozen or more among my group and others) have 1 qt graduation marks, I think 2 to 8 quarts.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Mine has 2 qt graduated marks 2 4 6

Post Thanks / Like

Mine has an indentation or crimp right at like 5 or 5.5 quarts. It also has the traditional 1 qt graduation marks as well. I think mine is actually every 2 quarts. But, as long as I fill it to that indentation or crimp, it seems to stay happy and not blow out excess oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    I'm confused by "indentation on the dipstick", my O-320 dipstick and all the other O-320 dipsticks I have seen (like a dozen or more among my group and others) have 1 qt graduation marks, I think 2 to 8quarts.

GG

Post Thanks / Like

Mine has an indentation or crimp right at like 5 or 5.5 quarts. It also has the traditional 1 qt graduation marks as well. I think mine is actually every 2 quarts. But, as long as I fill it to that indentation or crimp, it seems to stay happy and not blow out excess oil.
    Sounds like an owner made a modification on the dip stick for where the engine was "happy".