Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad end to a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bad end to a good day

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    Not an STC… Field approval only… have been able to get it on a couple but don’t know if it could be done again now days..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brian, any documentation? I sent an email to Eddy and haven’t heard back. I’m assuming it’s just a reinforcement on the gear legs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JVader View Post
    Brian, any documentation? I sent an email to Eddy and haven’t heard back. I’m assuming it’s just a reinforcement on the gear legs?
    I have the 337’s that I have done… and one of the airplanes is in storage on my field that I can get good pictures of…

The way I’ve done them is by follow on approvals using a copy of a couple 337’s Eddie did…

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    I have the 337’s that I have done… and one of the airplanes is in storage on my field that I can get good pictures of…

The way I’ve done them is by follow on approvals using a copy of a couple 337’s Eddie did…

Brian

Brian pictures would be great, still deciding if I have the bucks to spend on the shock monster gear or the strengthened univair gear.

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a Univair gear with the support tube mod and gussets at the axle… also did a weld on fuel step..

Just to note… I did not do the welding in these… One of the owners has a fabrication and welding business.. Way better welder than I will ever be..

I’ll have to did out the 337’s when I have the time..

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

As I understand it, the added cross tube will mostly help with buckling of the streamline tube when the gear is sideloaded toward the centerline of the plane. This gear looks like it failed in the opposite direction. The LPC service letter to add gussets at the top of the streamline tube seems likely to have been more helpful here. It would be very nice to see picture of the attach point at the top of the streamline tube.

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly hydrosorb area of the gear leg is weak. Think most of the load is under tension on a piece that’s about 0.90” thick and maybe 3/4” wide. That piece sticking up... might be a good idea to add gussets to that area as well. Mine failed because the weld quality was chit! No penetration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

This PA-16 leg failed in compression, but the same issue contributed, poor penetration of the gusset welds.

Screenshot 2021-07-16 064542.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-07-16 064149.jpg

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Kind of goes along with things.

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...hlight=Gussets

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

JVader's gear failed the rear tube when he hit the lip of the taxi-way. I did the same thing in my Clipper years ago when I hit a small sand dune, compressed the rear tube and that was all she wrote.