Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADS-B Deviation Authorization Preflight Tool (ADAPT)

Post Thanks / Like

Default ADS-B Deviation Authorization Preflight Tool (ADAPT)

Anyone used this? https://sapt.faa.gov/adapt-start.php

Will be trying it soon to fly into a Class C airport, the online form is simple takes 2 minutes for the request and get the email back aporoving the deviation for the flight, wondering how ATC will welcome me once I contact them?
    Last edited by SMO22; 01-08-2020 at 11:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADS-B Deviation Authorization Preflight Tool (ADAPT)

I haven't used the tool, as my aircraft is equipped. You might check this out: https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/ads-b-adapt

Note the following from this page:

"The controllers that pilots interact with over the radio will not be aware of the status of your request or, in the case of an approval, permission to access ADS-B required airspace. These controllers will continue to provide air traffic services to all aircraft operating within their airspace, including those aircraft that have not equipped with ADS-B Out and have not obtained proper authorizations under 14 CFR 91.225(g). It is the responsibility of the pilot to ensure he or she has proper approvals before entering this specific airspace, and pilots should not consider an ATC clearance into that airspace as a replacement for an approval via ADAPT."

Tom P.
    CFI-A/I
    Wagabond @ 08A

Post Thanks / Like

Please let us know how this works out for you.

I was planning to try this for a flight into Sporty's (I69) this weekend. It's in the mode C veil for Cincinnati. Unfortunately the weather predictions aren't good.

What reason code were you planning to use. For I69 I could use "Fringe Operation". I'm tempted to use "antique", but the rules are pretty vague about what this means. They appear to have just cloned the reasons from the requests for flights without a transponder. In that case "antique" typically means no electrical system, but for ads-b deviations you can't fly without a transponder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deandayton View Post

What reason code were you planning to use. For I69 I could use "Fringe Operation". I'm tempted to use "antique", but the rules are pretty vague about what this means. They appear to have just cloned the reasons from the requests for flights without a transponder. In that case "antique" typically means no electrical system, but for ads-b deviations you can't fly without a transponder.
    You can still fly in Rule Airspace with no transponder if have no electrical system and one has never been installed. Of course that also means no ADSB.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    You can still fly in Rule Airspace with no transponder if have no electrical system and one has never been installed. Of course that also means no ADSB.
    Understood. I guess I wasn't clear in my problem statement. The question is when using ADAPT to request a deviation for my Mode C equipped Pacer to fly into controlled airspace, can I use "antique" as the reason code? For instance, if I want to fly to a Class C airport, can I use "antique" as the reason code, or do I have to say "other" and then provide a written justification ( like "this is a stupid rule and I don't want to play nice" ;-)
    Last edited by deandayton; 01-09-2020 at 11:43 AM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I passed through class D airspace the controller was trying to determine my location because he was not sure if he could see me on radar in the non-electric Vag. I told him my location and he still was not sure he could see me on radar. If you received a clearance to operate in Class B or C airspace without ADS-B equipment, how would the controller track you?

Edit from the following link from ADAPT, I'm learning about new rules.

• Aircraft must be equipped with an operational transponder and operational altitude encoder (e. g., Mode C)
    • Request submitted no more than 24 hours before flight
    • Request submitted no less than 1 hour before flight

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/adapt/

Last edited by rideandfly; 01-09-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rideandfly View Post
    If you received a clearance to operate in Class B or C airspace without ADS-B equipment, how would the controller track you?
    They have to continue providing radar coverage in these areas. If they didn't anyone with an ads-b out problem would disappear from their screens. The safety implications are huge.

Even aircraft without a transponder usually show up on their radar, although they won't have altitude information. Yeah, I know there are probably some homebuilt wood airplanes that don't reliably show up, but I don't think that is the norm.

BTW many Class D airports are not equipped with radar. He may have asked your position so that he know which direction to look out the window.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue with going to I69 is that it is in the Mode C veil but Class E airspace. You can fly under the Class B airspace in the veil and you will be flying in the same airspace with the non-electric Cub’s, Champ’s, Vagabond’s and other riff-raff yet you need a transponder and ADSB.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    You can fly under the Class B airspace in the veil and you will be flying in the same airspace with the non-electric Cub’s, Champ’s, Vagabond’s and other riff-raff yet you need a transponder and ADSB.
    Yep, that's me, riff-raff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deandayton View Post
    BTW many Class D airports are not equipped with radar. He may have asked your position so that he know which direction to look out the window.
    Thought the same but this Class D facility said he could not see me on radar. After my first call and he asked my location a second time, his traffic notifications to other aircraft called the Vag a "slow mover" since I was bucking a headwind.