Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float for fuel sender

Post Thanks / Like

Default Float for fuel sender

While doing the annual inspection on my Pacer this weekend I found the right fuel tank sender gasket leaking. To my surprise, when I removed the sender I found that it has been modified. At some point in time it looks like the brass float was lost. I’m looking for a replacement float for the gauge sender.61383390571__1F6BE161-04CF-4E9C-AA1B-B8BA91A1B197.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Float for fuel sender

Probably have to find an old sending unit. The replacement sending units I have seen from Univair have that newer style float that someone modified to fit your original sender.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    Thats what I figured. I have found some used senders online from other piper models, but I'm not sure if the brass float is the same? It amazes me what people do to these airplanes over the years. Someone also decided to replace the gascolator under the seat with this masterpiece pictured below. At least Steves Gascolator fixes this problem
    .IMG_3959.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

If the gauge works with the float that is on it and available what is the issue? I have seen more than one plane that had the gascolator under the seat removed and was plumbed like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    If the gauge works with the float that is on it and available what is the issue? I have seen more than one plane that had the gascolator under the seat removed and was plumbed like that.
    The issue is, if the correct parts are available then why do hack maintenance. I have located the brass float and it will be here this week. I also have a Steve’s gascolator to put in place of where the gascolator was supposed to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo81 View Post
    The issue is, if the correct parts are available then why do hack maintenance. I have located the brass float and it will be here this week. I also have a Steve’s gascolator to put in place of where the gascolator was supposed to be.

Not that I am advocating it, but is the reason for right ride gascolator would be to have a low point on that side to sump water/debris, etc? If so, doesn't the above "masterpiece" provide the same function? Then again, must be a reason Piper put it there.
    Jan

Sent from my SM-G892A using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is a low point in the system and the reason for the installation there. The gascolators design allows water to settle in it much easier than the tee fitting arrangement shown above. It’s also the correct part for the application. I could maybe understand if there were no other approved parts available, however that’s not the case in this situation. As the Owner of the plane and the IA certifying that the aircraft meets type design I’m happy to use the correct parts.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

J Ryd - it takes a bit of time for water to precipitate to the bottom position of any sump due to the difference in specific gravity. Approx. 0.713 for gasoline and 1.00 for pure water. It doesn't happen fast if there is any turbulence in the system. So, a precipitation sump (gascolator) is required to get the water to settle out over time. It's really due to H2O ionic bonding and natural affinity for itself. Gasoline on the other hand is covalently bonded and that's why the water always appears to separate itself so clearly when you can look into a tank. Unfortunately, they're both fluids and the water is only slightly heavier than the gasoline. Hence the need for a settling sump to allow a really low place in the system for the water to drop into. A simple intersecting/converging confluence, or T-pipe won't do it. With a sump, the settled water can be easily drained away and everything above it is pure gasoline. A simple (and stupid) converging confluence may require the drainage of a large amount, perhaps ALL of fuel before you purge all the water, if you ever do in any contained volume. Another way to look at it is this: Sumps (Gascolators) save you time and money.
    -Subsonic
    Last edited by Subsonic; 06-15-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I can agree with the reason for the sump, ie large collector in the fuel line on the right side to catch moisture
    coming from the right tank, but somehow Eddie Trimmer was able to get rid of it and have a sump drain in the
    right fuel line before it heads up to the fuel selector valve. The sump drain is a T in the line that has
    same size tube going down thru the belly fabric. The same T and sump drain valve is added to the line
    from the left tank before it goes to the fuel valve. Someone had to figure that the gascolator on the right side of
    a standard PA-22 was not required. Possibly has to do with the fuel line goes up across the bottom of the
    instrument panel and back down to the fuel selector valve.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Trimmer put a gascolator near the left gear leg? If the Trimmer STC eliminates the fuel line crossover at the panel and puts it on the floor under the seat, the fuel still has to go "uphill" from the floor to get to the fuel valve. There should be a gascolator (water sump) at the low point (around the left gear leg) and a second one at the firewall. Note: I prefer my fuel lines elevated in the system. A hard landing crash can take out the landing gear and belly structure and if there is a fuel line down there, it's a bon fire. Up in the panel is safer, IMO. Stock Piper design has the lowest point at the right gear leg, and that's a structurally robust area. I'm talking myself into replacing my stock gascolator with a Steve's Gascolator under the right leg, now.
    -Subsonic
    PS. Remind me why were talking about this, pls. - I've lost the bubble.