Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recovering the left wing on my Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recovering the left wing on my Pacer

After I came back from Sun & Fun last week I started the process to pull the left wing off the Pacer to recover it. The Pacer was covered last time in 1986 and I was chasing paint cracks for years. It is time to recover the airplane. I will do the recovering in sections at a time. For the last two years I have refurbished the metal pieces from the spinner to the doorpost and all the metal on the belly. If the metal was too worn out or cracked, then I made new pieces. I have been using the Stewart paint system with good results.
    Last Saturday a couple of friends came over to help me pull the left wing. By Saturday afternoon I had the fabric off to start the inspection. In general, the wing looks really good. However, there was one big surprise. The top of my outboard tank has significant corrosion on the top. It looks like that water got between the top of the tank and the fabric. I probably have to cut off the top of the tank and weld a new top on it. Today (Monday) my mechanic will do a detailed inspection on the wing to determine what else should be replaced or fixed before I recover it.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Recovering the left wing on my Pacer

You didn't waste any time. Look those tank bay ribs under the factory fuel tanks over very close especially at the spar. Have seen quite a few crack there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's a pretty impressive task. Always impressed with your hands on approach. If you need a flying fix, let me know and I'll motor on up to fly with you. What is your time estimate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    You didn't waste any time. Look those tank bay ribs under the factory fuel tanks over very close especially at the spar. Have seen quite a few crack there.
    No I don't, came back from S&F on Monday (708 NM in 6.05 HRS none stop, great flight). The engine was due for an oil change, so I changed the oil and by Thursday I had everything disconnected and ready to pull the wing. I had to fix the rib under the tank on the right wing last year. Made a small aluminum piece to rivet on the rib. The left side looks good.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    That's a pretty impressive task. Always impressed with your hands on approach. If you need a flying fix, let me know and I'll motor on up to fly with you. What is your time estimate?
    Greg, thanks for the offer. Also, if you want to come by to see how a (Tri) Pacer wing looks in in the inside, I will be at my hangar almost every day until I'm flying again. Except for the painting, we are not allowed to paint in the hangars (of course).

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

I received questions about the wing rotation fixture. It belongs to our local EAA Chapter. It works really well and makes working on the wing really easy. I have attached some pictures.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

I need to get the hinge fittings off the flap and aileron. The rivets are really "deep" into the front and back. Do I need to take the leading edges off as well as the sheet metal enforcing plates in the back to get access to the rivets?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Remove the trailing edge and drill the rivets out of the plates on the ribs behind the spar to spread the ribs out to allow access.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Remove the trailing edge and drill the rivets out of the plates on the ribs behind the spar to spread the ribs out to allow access.
    Thanks, I would have never thought about that.

Juergen
    Pacer42Z

Post Thanks / Like

I am documenting the recovering of the wing of my Pacer. If anyone would like to see how a (my) wing looks after it was covered for 36 years, here is the link to the first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfjpHQX1T3E

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z