Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortwing history and historical photos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shortwing history and historical photos

So over in the "for sale" section I've been trying to sell my Clipper project, and along the way the discussion became more about history than selling.....which is great. Sort of like old Mooney folks, short-wing folks tend to not be super history focused on their ships because they remain so darn useful. Regardless, I am really into old photos and histories of these planes. I've done lots of research over the last few years, mostly looking into individual histories of planes in my area (Hudson Valley, New York), and collecting period photographs and color slides of short-wings "in the era." Its always fascinating to me to see these planes in their original period schemes, colors, and contexts. So I figured I'd post some of the stuff I've come across and encourage others to do the same.

Also, as a side note, anybody whose plane has a history in the Hudson Valley region of NY, let me know! I'm also looking for the identity (N#) of the Clipper flown by Harold T. Hamlin, East Stroundsburg, PA (1949-1950s)...first plane to land at the newly re-opened Newark NJ airport in 1950 or 51 and Leighton Collin's Clipper (editor of Air Facts magazine). Yes, I am that much of an aviation history nerd!

Anyway, here are some original late 1940s color shots of a Vagabond and a Clipper (N5255H) from the Marlboro, MA EAA collection. Originally color Kodachrome slides. How they looked when they rolled out!

I'll post more later from my collection.

Hope everyone enjoys!
    Vag1.jpgimg097.jpgClipper1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shortwing history and historical photos

Here are a couple prized shots from my personal collection. These were in a batch of Kodachrome slides I found from an Air Force airman who had Narsarsuak, Greenland as his duty station in 1952. One of the transients was Max Conrad in his N7330K PA-20 on his "big hop" to France (I think). Maybe this was the return flight? Not sure. Anyhow, not only are they cool photos of a "famous" Pacer, but it really shows off that factory blue/cream scheme. Maybe too much blue for some folks, but I love the scheme and colors. I believe N7330K was a stock Pacer that was only modified later, so thats a stock scheme/color combo I'm pretty sure. I'd love to see more Pacers look like this! haha.
    Enjoy!

89370020.jpg89370018.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Two more randoms from my personal collection. Clipper N?????, Pacer N7688K, and early Tri-Pacer N???A. No info on them, just period color shots.

89370053.jpg89370048.jpg89380003.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots, I really like the one of the guy and two gals nicely dressed for the occasion, and some really cool fuel trucks in the background.

Keep them shots (slides) coming....

Post Thanks / Like

Really good to see some old photos. Thanks for posting them.

TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a Colt. Stormville Airport, Stormville, NY, early 1960s

PICT0291.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPC94V View Post
    Two more randoms from my personal collection. Clipper N?????, Pacer N7688K, and early Tri-Pacer N???A. No info on them, just period color shots.

89370053.jpg89370048.jpg89380003.jpg
    I would love to have the wheel pants on the Pacer with the step on the top of them. If you can find them today you will pay an arm and a leg for them.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a Canadian PA-20, in the era, CF-HOF it seems to be. The scheme is later Pacer and it looks to be a later Pacer. The CF-reg looks to be factory applied so it was Canadian direct from Piper.
    image (7).jpgimage (8).jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    I would love to have the wheel pants on the Pacer with the step on the top of them. If you can find them today you will pay an arm and a leg for them.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    RIGHT!!! Someone should tool up and make good repros of them. There'd be a market.

Post Thanks / Like

Canadian Tri-Pacer, same batch of photos as from the PA-20 above. Can't see the registration number.

image (9).jpg