Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pressure Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil Pressure Question

My PA20 has an O290D in it. The oil pressure on my old pressure/temp gauge indicated right at 60 (the lower limit of the "normal" reading). However, my new one seems to be bit more sensitive and on a long cross country (2.5 hours) started indicating slightly under 60 in the yellow. Would it be a "normal" fix to adjust the oil relief valve to increase the "normal" reading? Or is there more to it than that? At what reading should I start freaking out and find a spot to top off the oil or be concerned that I'm burning up a lot of oil?

I'm trying to find a new A&P in my area as the guy that I was using is pretty much retired and doesn't have time for me any longer. So I have nowhere to ask but here at the moment!

TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil Pressure Question

How much oil are you burning in 2.5 hours? If it is enough to make your oil pressure drop you need to look into it.

Most people I talk to with Lycomings feel that adding a washer or two is perfectly acceptable. That engine is pretty old so it may even benefit from a new pressure relief spring but the burning oil may be the bigger issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think I was that low when I left and that's when it started to dip a bit. I always add oil up to the indentation on my dip stick, as that's where it likes to be without blowing it all out of the blow by tube. I added more before I came back home and it was fine on the way home. But, it still seems to hover right at 60 plus or minus 3.

Quote Originally Posted by RRHall View Post
    How much oil are you burning in 2.5 hours? If it is enough to make your oil pressure drop you need to look into it.

Most people I talk to with Lycomings feel that adding a washer or two is perfectly acceptable. That engine is pretty old so it may even benefit from a new pressure relief spring but the burning oil may be the bigger issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go. STD425 washer is a #10. Use a thin one for small adjustments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Here you go. STD425 washer is a #10. Use a thin one for small adjustments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thebeerdedpilot View Post

I'm trying to find a new A&P in my area as the guy that I was using is pretty much retired and doesn't have time for me any longer. So I have nowhere to ask but here at the moment!

TIA!
    I am a A&P, IA, DME, 35 years of experience. 20 years owning a 1950 Pacer and relatively close in Fort Atkinson

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, have time for a 1950 Pacer in November?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    I am a A&P, IA, DME, 35 years of experience. 20 years owning a 1950 Pacer and relatively close in Fort Atkinson

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Annual? No problem. Going to Osh Kosh?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good! I'll send you a note in Sept. Yup, will be there Tues through Sun. You? I don't think I'll be flying there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    Annual? No problem. Going to Osh Kosh?

Post Thanks / Like

I must have missed the answer but did the OP ever say how much oil they were going through per hr or per 2.5 hr?