Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Citabria Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Citabria Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I don’t think most people notice or care where that exhaust exits. I have been to many Shortwing Piper flyin’s, OSH, SnF and i never ever been asked about that big exhaust pipe sticking out of my cowl.
    I treat it as a badge of honor. I don’t have to remove my exhaust every 50 hours; I had 1000 hours on a perfectly good Piper exhaust so it made sense to buy the Sutton rather than invest in another time limited muffler.
    I agree. I'm happy with my Sutton exhaust. Plus, it saved weight.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I don’t think most people notice or care where that exhaust exits. I have been to many Shortwing Piper flyin’s, OSH, SnF and i never ever been asked about that big exhaust pipe sticking out of my cowl.
    I treat it as a badge of honor. I don’t have to remove my exhaust every 50 hours; I had 1000 hours on a perfectly good Piper exhaust so it made sense to buy the Sutton rather than invest in another time limited muffler.
    Amazing ask about an option on exhaust and get slammed right off the bat.

Glad I spent money for such a warm welcome Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    The Sutton does not exit out the back of the lower cowling. Why is that important?
    Really ? I never noticed .................

Post Thanks / Like

So, if you all can come back from your ruffled feather state for a minute, I'm ignorant and curious about about Gilbert's statement; "I don’t have to remove my exhaust every 50 hours; I had 1000 hours on a perfectly good Piper exhaust so it made sense to buy the Sutton rather than invest in another time limited muffler." 1) Where does it say I have to remove my exhaust every 50 hours? 2) I sense some subtle snarkiness in the second part of that statement and would like to know what the normal expected lifespan of the standard PA22-150 muffler is...thanks. All comments appreciated, and please use simple plain language as I'm easily confused by facitious rhetoric when I'm not in the know.
    -Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe, Subsonic,

In over 3000 posts I've never been accused of slamming or snarkiness. And, non was intended. Sorry any was taken. The only people I intend snarkiness is Steve or Gilbert.

My question stands ".....why do you care about were the exhaust exits?". No offense is intended. I was hoping to learn something new. The Citabria type of exhaust is interesting to me, I know it is also used on the Murphy Rebel. I don't know why.

Gilbert's was writing about an old AD on our planes. Unfortunately, many ignore this and end up in trouble.
    Last edited by Stephen; 05-24-2020 at 04:04 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry but I believe you are reading things into these posts that are not there. If you want to get a field approval for a Citabria exhaust on your Pacer that is great. My experience with these type mods other than the heartburn with dealing with the FAA is trying to think 3 steps ahead because I know when I change one thing it effects 2 or 3 others. My Dad went through the concerns of the tail pipe of the Sutton exhaust coming through the lower cowl on his Clipper. Once he finally did it he realized it was no big deal, got the muffler off the firewall (cooler in the summer) less weight, easier to work on and no 50/100 muffler AD. I think Gilbert and Stephen were just trying to relate their experience with a viable option when replacing the exhaust system without having to try and reinvent the wheel. If the Citabria route is how you go we would all be curious of the results, advantages and disadvantages. We are all here trying to help each other. Sometimes things get read into typed words that are not there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    So, if you all can come back from your ruffled feather state for a minute, I'm ignorant and curious about about Gilbert's statement; "I don’t have to remove my exhaust every 50 hours; I had 1000 hours on a perfectly good Piper exhaust so it made sense to buy the Sutton rather than invest in another time limited muffler." 1) Where does it say I have to remove my exhaust every 50 hours? 2) I sense some subtle snarkiness in the second part of that statement and would like to know what the normal expected lifespan of the standard PA22-150 muffler is...thanks. All comments appreciated, and please use simple plain language as I'm easily confused by facitious rhetoric when I'm not in the know.
    -Subsonic
    The muffler must be inspected every 100 hours per AD until it reaches 1000 hours time in service and then it goes to every 50 hours. To do the inspection correctly (inspect the baffle tubes in each side of the muffler) you must remove at least one exhaust pipe which creates other issues with exhaust studs, pipes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    -Subsonic
    Muffler inspection Airworthiness Directive
    https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...0?OpenDocument

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    Amazing ask about an option on exhaust and get slammed right off the bat.

Glad I spent money for such a warm welcome Thanks
    Richard, don’t take these comments the wrong way. This group is here to help. We’ve spoken about the + and - of the Sutton exhaust. Going with the Citabria exhaust may provide some advantages, but then you need to do the engineering to be sure it fits, has the required heat rise, and apply for the AMOC for your airplane. The Sutton exhaust is a known quantity and comes with the AMOC.

When Bud was working on his yellow coupe, FAA made him jump through lots of hoops to get it approved. The airplane was in Experimental R&D for over a year just to fly the test program they wanted. Using an STCd system (even with a deviation to the AML) is much easier than starting from scratch.

I’ll agree, I’m not thrilled with the exhaust stack protruding from the cowl where the Sutton stack comes out, but when weighing the options, getting the STCd option approved on my Clipper was much easier than starting from scratch with a different system. The advantages of lighter weight, moving the muffler forward away from the firewall, and eliminating the muffler AD with an existing AMOC won out over aesthetics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the detailed explanations. I wasn't aware that the 100 hour inspection became a 50 hour requirement after the 950 hour point in muffler lifespan. For all the reasons outlined (lighter, easier to work on, NO recurring AD) I see why you would be motivated to change the system to something else. I'd make the exhaust change too, if there were any options for a PA22. It appears only conventional gear planes can make the switch.