Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.50 dessers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 8.50 dessers!

There is a 2" offset and a 2 1/4" offset. The Univair STC'd wheels and brakes for the 1.5" axles have a 2" offset which is a problem on anything over 7" tires.
    IMG_20190218_075530.jpgIMG_20190218_075558.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    There is a 2" offset and a 2 1/4" offset. The Univair STC'd wheels and brakes for the 1.5" axles have a 2" offset which is a problem on anything over 7" tires.
    IMG_20190218_075530.jpgIMG_20190218_075558.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Yikes. Ok. I'll measure that today. If they are the smaller ones, I'll need spacers after all? What is the chance my disk is incorrect?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic of the clearance I had with 8.50x6 Air Tracs. I have Cleveland 40-28 wheels (don't remember the brake pn right now, but it's the lower clearance discs). I wasn't comfortable with this caliper clearance so I got a set of ABI-BSK3 spacers from Airframes Alaska. Have a new set of Desser 8.50 Tundras that'll go on with these spacers when I find some time! Remember to check which pins you have (mounted on the caliper that floats thru the torque plate). Luckily I already have the long ones, so I don't need to swap these when adding the spacers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevbot View Post
    Here's a pic of the clearance I had with 8.50x6 Air Tracs. I have Cleveland 40-28 wheels (don't remember the brake pn right now, but it's the lower clearance discs). I wasn't comfortable with this caliper clearance so I got a set of ABI-BSK3 spacers from Airframes Alaska. Have a new set of Desser 8.50 Tundras that'll go on with these spacers when I find some time! Remember to check which pins you have (mounted on the caliper that floats thru the torque plate). Luckily I already have the long ones, so I don't need to swap these when adding the spacers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I emailed ABW about this also. This is what they sent back. For future searchers and such

Robert,
    Generally, the single puck setup from Cleveland needs a spacer. That will also cause a need for new AN hardware. If your brake caliper is not hitting the tires, you may be fine running them that way. 1/8” is getting pretty tight, so I would test it out on the ground a bit, and at lower pressure. If your calipers are mounted low, that will make it flex more, possibly causing rubbing.

Let me know what you think.
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    I emailed ABW about this also. This is what they sent back. For future searchers and such

Robert,
    Generally, the single puck setup from Cleveland needs a spacer. That will also cause a need for new AN hardware. If your brake caliper is not hitting the tires, you may be fine running them that way. 1/8” is getting pretty tight, so I would test it out on the ground a bit, and at lower pressure. If your calipers are mounted low, that will make it flex more, possibly causing rubbing.

Let me know what you think.
    Vince

(Also for future searchers) When I went thru this for my Cleveland 40-28 wheels I was concerned about the bolt pattern of my 3-hole AN4 pattern matching with the Airframes 6-hole pattern. I called Airframes and they weren't 100%, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Airframes ABI-BSK3 does work with the 40-28 wheels. The Airframes spacer is drilled for a 6-hole pattern with AN4 thru bolts. This pattern matches some but not all Cleveland 3-bolt wheels, I have a buddy that tried these spacers on his Cleveland 40-59A 3-hole wheels and those actually have a different diameter for the bolt pattern than the Airframes spacer and most other Cleveland wheels. If using the spacer on a wheel with the AN5 thru bolts (like a 40-75) the spacer holes must be upsized by the installer. In all reality it would extremely simple to CAD up a spacer if you have a different bolt pattern and get them cut on a waterjet (I have the files for the 40-59A spacer if anybody needs them, my buddy who did this first sent them to me in case the Airframes spacers didn't fit my wheels). Also, Airframes does carry the longer brake anchor bolts (torque plate guide pins) - both flanged an unflanged dependent on your caliper type.

Post Thanks / Like

Kevbot, I was wondering if a spacer could be machined. It's not rocket science. But how does that work with FAA-PMA stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    Kevbot, I was wondering if a spacer could be machined. It's not rocket science. But how does that work with FAA-PMA stuff?

I don't remember the specifics from my A&P. Could be AC 23-27 substitution of parts on aging aircraft. For reference, Cleveland did make some elongated washers (kind of a small arc portion of the thru-bolt pattern) that they used for this same situation to space out the brake disc, I think they're 095-00800. My buddy who made his own used them for an experimental Cub.
    Last edited by kevbot; 02-19-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Had to order the wheel spacers from Airframe Alaska. For future people. It comes with four spacers (2 per side if you need that much) each spacer is 1/8" thick. Also comes with new longer AN bolts to replace the originals. I used both spacers to gain 1/4".

IMG_20190227_142559068.jpgIMG_20190227_133506198.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I test fitted the 8.50X6 22" Desser tires on the Pacer. I have double puck brakes and the clearance of the caliper (with pretty much new brake pads) is only 3/32" to 1/8". Next I need to figure out what kind of brake anchor bolts I have and then most likely will order the spacers and anchor bolts from Airframes Alaska. Just hurts that the anchor bolts are $67 a piece.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These are the pins you need, $30 each. https://www.airframesalaska.com/ABI-...i-69-01900.htm
    The disc kit is $200 and includes 4 1/16" discs and the longer bolts.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 06-18-2019 at 10:03 AM.