Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Instrument Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Instrument Repair

I just started my hood work for my PPL and just noticed that my Turn Coordinator is not working. I'm not sure of the brand but I think it's a Mid-Continent electric but I need to get behind the panel to find out for sure. I double checked and it's getting power and the power flag flips when I turn on the master but I get no bank indication. Can't hear any gyro spooling up either. Any suggestions and/or place you would suggest for repair? Looks like I can buy a new one from Spruce for about $650 or Mid-Continent said they have an exchange for about $600 but I would have to go thru an avionics shop.

My panel is falling apart. We had our com 2 fritz out (Narco 810 can't change freq.) and we decided to hold off since it's com #2. Then the MP gauge went south but with a fixed pitch prop it wasn't a rush (if at all) to get it fixed. Now the TC. I know, welcome to the world of airplanes.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Turn Coordinator not working

I've had good luck with Rudy Instruments in Rudy AR. They advertise in Trade-a-Plane and do good work at a reasonable price. Something like 2-250 to overhaul a TC

Paul
    N1431A
    KSDM

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Paul, Do you know how you can make a small fortune in aviation?..................

Start with a large fortune!

Sorry! I couldn't resist! I feel for you. I've put a lot into mine lately too.

Blake

Post Thanks / Like

I called Rudy Instruments and $270 to overhaul the TC. Quite a serious difference from the $600 from Mid-Continent. You could look at that as either you get what you pay for (on the low end) or it's a ripoff to pay $600 to rebuild a $700 instrument.

Doing a little research I saw a previous post from Gilbert Pierce talking about a bad experiance with Rudy Instruments. So that makes 1 vote yea and 1 vote nay. Anyone else have any experience with them?
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Dad's bad experience with Rudy was on a fuel gauge that they didn't know how to disassmble and shouldn't have tried. I have been using Rudy for years on instruments without any problems. Just had an electric artificial horizon overhauled by them $750 parts and labor.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a follow up. I sent my TC into Rudy Instruments and it's back up to speed again. They did the rework for $270 as promised and exactly when they said they would - 2 days. They even tossed in a spare knob for my DG that was missing when we bough the plane. Real nice people and great to work with.
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Default Attitude indicator

My original attitude indicator/ artificial horizon is no longer reliable. It's getting funky. So, I really would like to update the panel, somewhat, by getting a "newer version" of the original, but that that may be cost-prohibitive. I don't really know. Can anyone recommend a vendor that rebuilds these? Or recommend a replacement instrument?
    Thanks, Johnnie
    Last edited by bigjohnnie; 06-15-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Johnnie, merged with an older thread. Rudy has done me right over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

Tank you, Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

Not being snarky here, but I always thought the turn co-ordinator was the ball-in-the-oil, smiley looking thingy. Makes me keep the rudder in step with the ailerons in a bank. The pretty colored gyro thingy is the attitude indicator (or artificial horizon) and keeps me straight and level. Or is this a "clip vs magazine" thing?