Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Static Port

Post Thanks / Like

Default Static Port

This winter I replaced some of my bottom fabric and static ports. My airspeed was slightly lower after this small project. Thinking I had blockage, I disconnected my static lines and blew them out with air. But, no change. Checking my AS indicator, I flew the plane steady in 4 directions, 90 degrees apart and a averaged my GPS GS and indicated AS and found my indicated AS 8 mph low. Then I disconnected my static line in the cabin and my indicated AS jumped up 8 mph. I rechecked my indicated AS and GPS GS with the static line disconnected and my average GPS GS and indicated AS matched.

Any ideas?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Static Port

Do you think you changed the shape of the belly around the static ports? I read a really good article in Kit Planes Magazine a while ago that discussed static port locations and how you had to find an area that wasn't a low or high pressure zone as speed changed and flaps were employed. You can check out the article https://www.kitplanes.com/static-port-location-and-altitude-calibration/ and see if any of the tips in there might be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iRideKTM View Post
    Do you think you changed the shape of the belly around the static ports? I read a really good article in Kit Planes Magazine a while ago that discussed static port locations and how you had to find an area that wasn't a low or high pressure zone as speed changed and flaps were employed. You can check out the article https://www.kitplanes.com/static-port-location-and-altitude-calibration/ and see if any of the tips in there might be helpful.
    Thanks for this information, this looks helpful. The change I made was aft of the static ports. I replaced 24 inches of the lower longerons, which created a straighter line.
    Last edited by Stephen; 06-04-2022 at 08:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Leave it alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Leave it alone.
    The Airplane or the static lines??? Ha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Anyone know where to get the decal that goes on the fuselage that points towards the belly static ports?
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

The airplane is pretty cool. Leave the static port alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    The airplane is pretty cool. Leave the static port alone.
    Thanks.

Iride posted an interesting article of how to locate locate a neutral pressure static Port. It's a bit of work. Since my airpeed indicator is correct, I'll leave my line open to cabin air. I'll check my altimeter though. It would be interesting to use the technique in the article to see if my current location for the Port is at a low pressure area.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Iride posted an interesting article of how to locate locate a neutral pressure static Port. It's a bit of work. Since my airpeed indicator is correct, I'll leave my line open to cabin air. I'll check my altimeter though. It would be interesting to use the technique in the article to see if my current location for the Port is at a low pressure area.
    Yeah KitPlanes does some really thorough articles that are a wealth of knowledge! I never understood why combo pitot/static probes aren't more common, I only know of 2 styles off the top of my head, the one that looks like an over/under shotgun barrel set and the ones we use on MH-60 helicopters which looks like 2 bug antennas sticking out above the cockpit. Makes sense being out of the effects of prop wash and pressure changes from the skin. When I worked on the SH-60B we had static ports right behind the cockpit doors on the side of the fuselage. They had these little bars right behind the hole (in relation to the slipstream) that the book called "vortex generators". I never looked into why they were there but I figured Sikorsky knew what they were doing. I'm not saying you should modify the design of the aircraft but maybe if you forgot a booger of RTV on the belly you might see what happens to your airspeed readings

Post Thanks / Like

Our static line is open behind the panel. When they did the rebuild they didn't bother to run the line up into the wing where our static port should be - we have that F shaped combo pitot. The only downside I've found is you can see the airspeed jump when you open the vent by your feet.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb