Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhaul O-290D2 or Swap for O-320?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Overhaul O-290D2 or Swap for O-320?

E3D uses a Dynafocal mount. PA-16 uses a Conical mount. Dynafocal mount will run you about $1000.
    The A2B engine will fit fine your O-290D2 mount. Other than baffles every thing else will mount up.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for responding. We just bought this Pa16 in June. I now understand it is difficult finding cylinders, parts, etc., for an 0 290D2. All your advice is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clipperace View Post
    I have a PA 16/0290-D2 and would like to upgrade to an 0320. What would be the best match. There is one available from Graham, in Georgia, an E3D....just not sure it would fit properly. Thank you for help
    Unless you have the Stewart STC, you may have a problem just putting an O-320 on the Clipper. How many hour does your O-290 have on it? My advice, send your cylinder out, get them chromed, new rings, and keep your O-290 D2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    Unless you have the Stewart STC, you may have a problem just putting an O-320 on the Clipper. How many hour does your O-290 have on it? My advice, send your cylinder out, get them chromed, new rings, and keep your O-290 D2.
    That's what I did with my PA 22/20. Sal up in Prosper, Tx did my cylinder rebuild on my 290D2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfgoe View Post
    I really wish that someone would support these engines. There is nothing in the 125-135 HP range except these, and I think there is a need for this range of power. The Big boys don't agree, so.....no support.
    Mine is on its last legs as well, and I was able to find a 320 removed from a tripacer in the 90's and stored. I've seen several on Barnstormers that are right up your alley, some overhauled and some 1/2 time engines. If you could find the right one that fits your budget, it would be the thing to do rather than overhauling the 290, I've heard that gets real expensive.
    Based on the dates on these posts, I’m a little late to the party. Has anyone ever tried to field approve or STC install an O-235-F or -G. The -F and -G run a 9.7 compression ratio and are already 125 hp. Or there is an STC SE792NW (Cessna 152 “Sparrowhawk” conversion) that increases the horsepower of an O-235-L2A or L2C from 115 hp to 125 hp. I know the L2A and L2C would require a dynafocal engine mount, but those engine options would fill that 125hp gap that is lacking due to the support for the O-290 being abandoned by Lycoming and the other the new part manufacturers. Plus you would maintain the better fuel burn (6-7 gph) of the O-235 instead of the 8+ gph of the O-320.

Here is my take on the O-320 upgrade. I could be wrong as I have not actually flown a short winger with an O-320. This upgrade gives you one thing. Safety margin. That safety margin is in the form of climb performance. From my reading it doesn’t sound like the short wingers gain much in speed, gross weight doesn’t increase, useful load decreases because this engine is heavier, increased fuel burn, etc. with the O-320.

horsepower = climb performance = safety margin

Since I am new to the group, I’m just curious if the higher compression / higher horsepower O-235’s have ever been considered as a viable option for an O-290 replacement? Also the O-235 is still supported by Lycoming. Maybe some of the guys that have gotten STC approvals can give thoughts on if this would be easy to get through the process. It is my understanding that the FAA doesn’t easily give field approvals for engine installations that have more than a 10% hp increase or at least the testing phases make it difficult to do. I could be wrong on this as well but I thought I read this somewhere.

Lucas
    N5821H
    PA-16, S/N: 16-437

Post Thanks / Like

It's a no brainer, 0-320, get any part you need, simple comparison depending on your age: 0-235 = 235 chevy 6 cylinder, 0-290 = 283 chevy, 0-320 = 327 chevy. You can feel the difference in your pants and see it in the VSI. Narrow deck jugs are still in production, get a great deal on new ones at Airpower in Dallas! As far as fuel burn goes, you can run the 0-320 at a lower power setting and equal the fuel burn of an 0-235 when required!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The O-235 on the Cessna 152 is a Dynafocal mount vs the conical mount in the Clipper. With a light weight alternator and starter you don't gain much weight but a lot in performance. No gross weight increase on paper. Speed depends on prop pitch, just gotta watch the yellow arc in the Clipper.

Post Thanks / Like

I am removing the O-235-C1 from my Clipper to put up for sale in the UK. I have no idea what an O-235 is worth nor can I find many on the internet. It has 850 from new in 1969, bendix mags InterAv alternator, and starter. It runs well and no damage history with FAA logs from new.
    Can anyone give me some advice on its worth? Are they more or less value than a similar state/history O-320?

Post Thanks / Like

Since we are also talking about O-235s, I'm in need of standard bore pistons for an O-235-C1. Part number 73851 or 14B23919. I think there may be another older part number as well. I believe I've got 73851 pistons, but one is cracked and I'd like to replace all 4 as a set.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Since we are also talking about O-235s, I'm in need of standard bore pistons for an O-235-C1. Part number 73851 or 14B23919. I think there may be another older part number as well. I believe I've got 73851 pistons, but one is cracked and I'd like to replace all 4 as a set.
    These have been on eby for a long time, but the box lable skips right over C1 so might not be the right pn