Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewart wingtip total cost and value?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stewart wingtip total cost and value?

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    That's about right, plus some aluminum sheet for the trailing edge of the aileron & extended wing section, and another piece for the leading edge of the extended section, then there is the need to make up the position light mount. When I got the one for the project plane it was still as a complete "kit" though it seems that is no longer the way it's sold.

Doc
    Any idea how much labor is involved assuming no surprises are encountered?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Balla View Post
    Any idea how much labor is involved assuming no surprises are encountered?
    The Stewart's have done this install in a weekend. Fabric work will be the time consumer.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    The Stewart's have done this install in a weekend. Fabric work will be the time consumer.
    The weekend timeline includes the fabric work? So 15-20 billable hours total for the Stewart tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Balla View Post
    The weekend timeline includes the fabric work? So 15-20 billable hours total for the Stewart tips?
    Having teamed it on 2 & done another start to finish on my own I think that you will likely find that number low by 50-100% ie 22-30 up to 30-40 depending on multiple factors not the least of which involve what fabric & the condition of the fabric, do you expect it to include finish painting or just fabric thru polyspray(silver), or the compatible step in stewart systems covering if that's your fancy(all the ones that we did were either Ceconite or Stits PolyFiber), which is airworthy, but not cosmetic. Also if you expect it thru finish paint, is it solid color, or is there a pattern, strips, sunburst, scallops painted that need to be carried thru the paint scheme? All those factors come into play & take time to accomplish a quality finished product if the requirement is thru final/cosmetic finish paint. The key is "MANhours"(not to be sexist in anyway of course), those add up faster when two people are working it, but the job IS completed sooner.

My suggestion is talk to someone who has done them and who can look at your plane, discuss it in detail as to what the expectations are, and see if they will fixed price quote it to you, if they are slow on work they may very well do an FPQ on the job, if they have plenty of work, or just really don't want to do it they likely won't & will "estimate" the cost, but realize it is just that, an ESTIMATE given EVERYTHING goes perfectly & there are no "hidden issues" found during the install...

Just my $.02 for what that is worth these days
    Last edited by doc; 08-10-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    Having teamed it on 2 & done another start to finish on my own I think that you will likely find that number low by 50-100% ie 22-30 up to 30-40 depending on multiple factors not the least of which involve what fabric & the condition of the fabric, do you expect it to include finish painting or just fabric thru polyspray(silver), or the compatible step in stewart systems covering if that's your fancy(all the ones that we did were either Ceconite or Stits PolyFiber), which is airworthy, but not cosmetic. Also if you expect it thru finish paint, is it solid color, or is there a pattern, strips, sunburst, scallops painted that need to be carried thru the paint scheme? All those factors come into play & take time to accomplish a quality finished product if the requirement is thru final/cosmetic finish paint. The key is "MANhours"(not to be sexist in anyway of course), those add up faster when two people are working it, but the job IS completed sooner.

My suggestion is talk to someone who has done them and who can look at your plane, discuss it in detail as to what the expectations are, and see if they will fixed price quote it to you, if they are slow on work they may very well do an FPQ on the job, if they have plenty of work, or just really don't want to do it they likely won't & will "estimate" the cost, but realize it is just that, an ESTIMATE given EVERYTHING goes perfectly & there are no "hidden issues" found during the install...

Just my $.02 for what that is worth these days
    Thx for your response; it is very helpful!!

Post Thanks / Like

I too have considered and still consider doing this mod. What holds me back is threefold. First, my 2.5 year experience in owning this plane, my first plane, indicates that nothing regarding repairs or maintenance goes to plan on a shortwing and the unforeseen issues WILL amount to much more time and money than originally planned. In fact I now use the "factor of two" rule to estimate real costs in time and money. I'm not talking about routine maintenance, I'm talking about modifications. Like wheel pants or headliners or mufflers or new struts, or ADS-B installations, radios and panel work, etc. In other words, significant modifications or repairs. They are not Cessna's. Second, I really like the ability to fly short and steep approaches. Most of my flying is with a lightly loaded plane and the ability to lose altitude quickly without diving and increasing my airspeed is handy if you know how to use it. Third, I've heard time and time again that everyone who does these mods wishes they had back the roll rate and aileron authority of the original design, and shortwings weren't the best at high AOA roll control at low speeds then, either. In fact it strikes me odd that the extended aileron and flap mod is not also STC'd so that you can really do STOL right with these planes. Until that gets worked out by someone you may want to think about what you're really getting. As Stephen points out, if you gotta have a different wingtip, the Stewarts may be the best compromise of the bunch because it doesn't add as much length and total area. He used the Sullivan himself, in carbon if I recall correctly but he changed so many things on his plane that it can't be called a shortwing now. The Stewarts is a simple clean design and the one I'd use myself if I had to pick one, but I like my stock tips fine right now. In the meantime, I'm preparing to install VG's on my wings in the next couple weeks as that mod has universal good compliments from all that have done it. I'll let you know how it handles in a month.
    Last edited by Subsonic; 09-17-2019 at 12:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    I too have considered and still consider doing this mod. What holds me back is threefold. First, my 2.5 year experience in owning this plane, my first plane, indicates that nothing regarding repairs or maintenance goes to plan on a shortwing and the unforeseen issues WILL amount to much more time and money than originally planned. In fact I now use the "factor of two" rule to estimate real costs in time and money. I'm not talking about routine maintenance, I'm talking about modifications. Like wheel pants or headliners or mufflers or new struts, or ADS-B installations, radios and panel work, etc. In other words, significant modifications or repairs. They are not Cessna's. Second, I really like the ability to fly short and steep approaches. Most of my flying is with a lightly loaded plane and the ability to lose altitude quickly without diving and increasing my airspeed is handy if you know how to use it. Third, I've heard time and time again that everyone who does these mods wishes they had back the roll rate and aileron authority of the original design, and shortwings weren't the best at high AOA roll control at low speeds then, either. In fact it strikes me odd that the extended aileron and flap mod is not also STC'd so that you can really do STOL right with these planes. Until that gets worked out by someone you may want to think about what you're really getting. As Stephen points out, if you gotta have a different wingtip, the Stewarts may be the best compromise of the bunch because it doesn't add as much length and total area. He used the Sullivan himself, in carbon if I recall correctly but he changed so many things on his plane that it can't be called a shortwing now. The Stewarts is a simple clean design and the one I'd use myself if I had to pick one, but I like my stock tips fine right now. In the meantime, I'm preparing to install VG's on my wings in the next couple weeks as that mod has universal good compliments from all that have done it. I'll let you know how it handles in a month.
    Your logic makes sense.

My plane is called a Super Pacer, ATC often calls me a TriPacer. After all, I will always be a PA22. Poor confused airplane.

Post Thanks / Like

About to pull the trigger on the Stewart stc. Is there anywhere that you can buy spar material that isnt the full 17'?

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Univair sells splice kits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    About to pull the trigger on the Stewart stc. Is there anywhere that you can buy spar material that isnt the full 17'?

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    I was able to find old spar material people had around.