Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Q about "going experimental"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Q about "going experimental"

It usually starts with a news story about a plane crash. Then someone says why can't we make it safer? Then someone says well call your representative and ask them what they are doing about planes crashing. Do we not have every plane inspected so it will never fail in flight? We want to make it happen so pilots never crash and kill themselves or anyone else! So a good way to get elected is to say we made more rules to prevent airplane accidents. People get elected and a plane crashes and the cycle starts again. So tell your parents to tell all family members to stop calling representatives and telling them flying should be made safe!!! The world is complicated but if you pay attention to advice from DGAPILOT it will not be all that hard to manage.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsrguy3 View Post
    Yup total cs trash.... this is another perfect example of government in bed with business, it benefits certified and experimental manufacturers but not the citizens.

I'm curious, what is the difference between the welded fuse that shows up in a c-crafters kit, and a rebuilt modded fuse that actually gained the amateur builder the knowledge and skill that the c-crafters fuse didn't?

That's not tongue and cheek... I'd like to know the actual reasoning, because it really doesn't compute. Anybody have a legitimate reason for this or is it really as simple as my sorry guess?
    It is all about Policy! Many years ago big FAA determined that you can’t make an E-AB out of a Standard airplane. All the policy is intended to enforce that determination. As a DAR, I have to enforce that policy during certification. Doesn’t matter if I agree with it or not. I do know of aircraft that have had certificate actions against them when FAA identified that certified parts were used in the build. In those cases the owners were required to surrender their R-AB certificates, but were able to reapply for Experimental Exhibition certificates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

and it goes back to the 50s when people wanted to make experimental airplanes out of certified airplanes. There was a push from the alphabet groups to not allow that to happen. If you want an experimental Pacer out of a certified airplane I think it is easiest to put it in experimental exhibition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    and it goes back to the 50s when people wanted to make experimental airplanes out of certified airplanes. There was a push from the alphabet groups to not allow that to happen. If you want an experimental Pacer out of a certified airplane I think it is easiest to put it in experimental exhibition.
    and live with the Operating Limitations that come with Exhibition. Also recognize that any time you take a Standard airplane to any form of Experimental, all of Part 43 still applies! All maintenance still needs to be done by an A&P or Repair Station, all major repairs and major alterations still need to be documented on 337s (you don't necessarily need approved data, but they need to be documented). Read 43.1 applicability if you don't believe me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    and live with the Operating Limitations that come with Exhibition. Also recognize that any time you take a Standard airplane to any form of Experimental, all of Part 43 still applies! All maintenance still needs to be done by an A&P or Repair Station, all major repairs and major alterations still need to be documented on 337s (you don't necessarily need approved data, but they need to be documented). Read 43.1 applicability if you don't believe me.
    I have no desire to do it but see it being done, a lot out west. Someone was asking on our Facebook page about performance of a Pacer or Tri-Pacer for back country operations. A commenter posted it wouldn't go where a Super Cub would go to which another commenter took exception. Well, come to find out his Pacer is heavily modified in the experimental exhibition category. Not at all apples to oranges. I personally would not want the limitations of the Exhibition category. Use to work on a lot of Warbirds in that category. The limitations are very specific but some seem to work within them to achieve what they want to achieve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsrguy3 View Post
    Yup total cs trash.... this is another perfect example of government in bed with business, it benefits certified and experimental manufacturers but not the citizens.

I'm curious, what is the difference between the welded fuse that shows up in a c-crafters kit, and a rebuilt modded fuse that actually gained the amateur builder the knowledge and skill that the c-crafters fuse didn't?

That's not tongue and cheek... I'd like to know the actual reasoning, because it really doesn't compute. Anybody have a legitimate reason for this or is it really as simple as my sorry guess?
    The Cub crafters Fuselage counts towards the E-AB and was built by professionals while the modded one doesn't and was rebuilt by amateurs? If you are going to try and make sense of government laws and regulations you are going to end up in the nuthouse.

Post Thanks / Like

well- that makes as much sense as our tax laws......
    thats what happens when you have an agency with unlimited power and no accountability going for 80 years.....
    you get to where RRHall just pointed out........