Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 34 of 69 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Quote Originally Posted by McDaver63 View Post
    Gilbert, that’s what I’m going to do as well. The way I read it is you only need to file a 337 if you did an alteration to the aircraft in order to install it. The way I look at it is that ADS-B Out will be required equipment if operating in the designated airspace. Just like the FAR list of required equipment listed for the aircraft and for VFR & IFR ops. Your TCDS does not list all that equipment even though it is required.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Good point. I can run with that.

Post Thanks / Like

uAvionix sent an email yesterday with an updated Approved Model List - https://uavionix.com/downloads/skybe...-001-Rev-B.pdf - the Clipper isn't on it but a lot of others are. They said there had been a hiccup during flight testing but expect to have the STC this month... Donn

Post Thanks / Like

I understand a spacer is needed to mate the device with our position lights. Is this available yet?

Post Thanks / Like

uavionics has put out a pdf paper file template to place on your light fixture spot to check.
    additionally, they are suggesting you need IA approval with a 337 for major alteration [I can't imagine why/how remove and replace a light fixture without airframe alteration is defined so]

the FAA, as usual, has created a convoluted & burdensome process from a simple one.

Post Thanks / Like

Following along on this thread. I'm getting the Garmin GDL-82 installed during my annual next March. It'll work along with my GTX327 transponder.

Lots of ways to get to the finish line on this requirement, I guess. All of them involve lots of money.

Post Thanks / Like

Building the harness now to install a Garmin GDL 82. Hope get it installed next week while it is warm.
    The only problem is my old XP laptop won’t run MS 7 and the GLD 82 configuration tool needs MS 7 or higher. My wife was abhorrent when I said I’ll just take the desk top computer to the hanga​r to configure the GLD 82.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 11-17-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pmanton View Post
    I understand a spacer is needed to mate the device with our position lights. Is this available yet?
    A couple of washers or trimming the lip off the aluminum nav light bracket. Pretty simple but I have not talked to them since Oshkosh to see if they did anything with the Piper light bracket I loaned them.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, if you are able to talk with them, could you ask if they plan to make the tail mounted light work
    with the fabric pipers (unlike the Whelen tail LED strobe that is STC's and does not fit)
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

GDL-82 installed, had to put the antenna on the wing root fairing to accomplish separation from the radio antenna. Installation was clean and from my perspective painless (A/I did the work for me). Still getting interference on one radio on all frequency ranges and second radio on the 131.*** band (antennas on separate sides of the fuselage). Any ideas on a solution? Manual says to move antenna, change radio, check for coax routing, use filters.

I haven’t had weather for the proving flight yet to finish the rebate, hopefully soon.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org
    "If you do something; something else will happen. Don't wiggle the controls" Jim Alsip; EAA Webinar Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Building the harness now to install a Garmin GDL 82. Hope get it installed next week while it is warm.
    The only problem is my old XP laptop won’t run MS 7 and the GLD 82 configuration tool needs MS 7 or higher. My wife was abhorrent when I said I’ll just take the desk top computer to the hanga​r to configure the GLD 82.

If you have an inexpensive old workable lap with MS 7 or higher and a USB port you don’t need PM me.
    A PC, Microsoft 7? You have got to be kidding, darn, run away, far away... I won't even bother going into the details.

I would stay stay away from Garmin products just for that reason, not to mention all the other good ones.

thinking AK gets an ADSB exemption until a satellite based system is up and running. Which will hopefully be sooner then later. Unfortunatly it will make our American system obsolete and will require us to spend more...

Rocket