Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interav Alt tripping off

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interav Alt tripping off

For the last couple weeks my Interav alternator has been tripping off. If I turn off the master for a few seconds it will usually reset. I have downloaded the trouble shooting guide, but haven't had a chance to run the tests yet.

Yesterday when I turned the master off, the power would go down for a second then everything would power back up, with the switch in the off position. Weird. Any ideas? The master switch is a 2 position, on/off. I have an Interav voltage regulator, and a lightweight battery with Svenns STC.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Interav Alt tripping off

Sounds like the over voltage relay tripping off then resets itself when you cycle the master.
    ORRRRRRRRRRR it could be the master switch since it gets power with the switch off. You can jump around both to see which it is.
    We just replaced the over voltage rely on our Citabria due to the same symptoms.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy one of these…

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=10406

And get rid of all the antiquated InterAv alternator control system.. The Plane Power is approved to replace InterAv’s regulator, has internal over voltage protect, gets rid of that spike guard, is lighter, easy to wire in and is relatively inexpensive….

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    Buy one of these…

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=10406

And get rid of all the antiquated InterAv alternator control system.. The Plane Power is approved to replace InterAv’s regulator, has internal over voltage protect, gets rid of that spike guard, is lighter, easy to wire in and is relatively inexpensive….

Brian
    Thanks for the tip Brian! I'll check to see which regulator is installed now. I'll probably go pick one of these new ones up tomorrow. Spruce is right around the corner from my hanger.

A couple questions:

1. Is the overvoltage relay separate from the Interav voltage regulator? If so, where is it typically? I see the regulator and the capacitor on the firewall, no relay.
    2. Do you remove the capacitor when installing the updated regulator?

Thanks again for the help and patience. I haven't had a chance to investigate the charging system on my plane in detail yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Interav Alt tripping off

The Interav overvoltage protector is a separate part from the voltage regulator.
    It is discussed here, this may help you trace the wires to it perhaps:
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...l=1#post114734
    And I found an image here, only for reference:
    https://baspartsales.com/635-62448-a...volts-16-trip/

Hard to say where it is mounted in any plane.
    In my PA22 with Interav alternator, it was strangely screwed to the underside of the panel lip below the throttle.
    I relocated it to the inside fixed part of the cabin vent near the pilot's left foot, so the aluminum would act as a heat sink.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    The Interav overvoltage protector is a separate part from the voltage regulator.
    It is discussed here, this may help you trace the wires to it perhaps:
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...l=1#post114734
    And I found an image here, only for reference:
    https://baspartsales.com/635-62448-a...volts-16-trip/

Hard to say where it is mounted in any plane.
    In my PA22 with Interav alternator, it was strangely screwed to the underside of the panel lip below the throttle.
    I relocated it to the inside fixed part of the cabin vent near the pilot's left foot, so the aluminum would act as a heat sink.

GG
    Thanks for the info! I will track that sucker down next time I'm at the airport.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually mounted on the engine side of the firewall.

Post Thanks / Like

I traced the wires from the voltage regulator on the firewall. The over voltage relay is on the inside of the firewall on the pilot side.

The ground wire lead ring terminal was loose. Tightened it up and everything seems good now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moto657 View Post
    I traced the wires from the voltage regulator on the firewall. The over voltage relay is on the inside of the firewall on the pilot side.

The ground wire lead ring terminal was loose. Tightened it up and everything seems good now.
    Well, it still tripped a couple times when I first turn on the field switch after start up. I’ve found that if I pull the rpm all the way back before flipping the switch it doesn’t trip and works OK.

I am getting really bad high pitched feedback in the headset all the time when the field switch is on. It’s always been there, but I’ve been flying a bunch lately. It’s really annoying and has my tinnitus ringing really bad now.

Any ideas where to start on troubleshooting the feedback?

Edit: I did some research, I'm going to start by checking all of the jacks for headsets and audio input to be sure they are isolated from the panel/airframe. Any other ideas are appreciated.
    Last edited by moto657; 11-06-2021 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Added research findings

Post Thanks / Like

The Denso self regulated unit works great, 20 years on my truck, and several
    years now trouble free on the Clipper, too bad things have to be overly complicated on such simple planes. I could understand if we were holding out to charter 135 in a twin engine plane or something more complicated, but to fly these simple planes around the trouble free authentic Denso, not chinese clones but the real high quality Denso is a great little alternator for this incredibly simple little aircraft, plug and go, simple field and charge wire and done.

I bought a complete Denso setup a couple years ago for a project that got sold and no longer need this, not sure if field approvals for Denso are still an option or if experimental you can go with this if I am not mistaken? Anyway total is 219. if purchased today, just took these screenshots, 129. for the alternator and 75. and 15.for the mount kit, 219 total, I will sell it for half that if anyone can use it, all brand new just sitting in the basement never used.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PA-16; 11-06-2021 at 10:52 AM.