Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N3119Z is home.

Post Thanks / Like

Default N3119Z is home.

20 hrs on her already. First $100 hamburger with the whole family onboard in the books. Gave it a much need cleaning, replaced the inop artificial horizon, cleaned the vacuum regulator and added some brake fluid is all i have done to it. Flys and climbs great with the climb prop. Still getting 110ktas and 9.8gph at 2600rpms. My daughter has claimed it as her very own and the ole girl will be well taken care of. I may never get her to fly in my harmon rocket again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: N3119Z is home.

Very pretty plane and family! Everyone looks happy too [at the same time!]
    Get used to the adding brake fluid...[sometimes subtracting...]
    I love the work ethic - children dusting the plane!
    Weather looks gorgeous too!
    Happy flying!

p.s.
    is that IFLY software on your GPS? How is it secured to your panel?
    Last edited by Old3pacer; 02-21-2021 at 11:19 AM. Reason: additional

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Making good memories.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought it was a pretty plane, and when I flew to SF thought it did a fine job. Looks like it went to a great place. Brett built that piece for the tablet. I use IFLY GPS and have a similar set-up. I took out my old loran and made a shelf that slid into the radio slot and has a place to stick the tablet to. On the shelf I put the GDL 88 on it and now have ADSB in and out. I think the one on 19Z is adjustable were as mine isn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!
    Its great to see this happy chapter in the story!
    Ed, your efforts on the plane show and the smiles on
    new owner’s faces just warm my heart. I love the airplane
    stories shared on this site!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't this the bird that the old owner was complaining about vibration issues with? If so, was anything ever figured out or was it a non issue?

Post Thanks / Like

It is the same plane. The vibration he was complaining about was characterized by the compass spinning around and around and slight vibration in the yoke. I have not balanced the prop yet. I have a dynavibe system and will do it at the upcoming oil change. The vibs are a normal level for a lycoming bolted to a steel tube structure airplane. The prop balance may help some, but it runs smooth at 2300 and 2600 rpms. Vibs are a little worse at 2400 rpms. The compass spinning was caused by it being completely out of fluid with a ruptured diaphram. $11 compass repair kit is on order. It ain’t no cessna and flys exactly like a 60 year old vintage plane should. I have flown it everyday with my family onboard and been giving rides to kids around the airport.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Titanhank View Post
    It is the same plane. The vibration he was complaining about was characterized by the compass spinning around and around and slight vibration in the yoke. I have not balanced the prop yet. I have a dynavibe system and will do it at the upcoming oil change. The vibs are a normal level for a lycoming bolted to a steel tube structure airplane. The prop balance may help some, but it runs smooth at 2300 and 2600 rpms. Vibs are a little worse at 2400 rpms. The compass spinning was caused by it being completely out of fluid with a ruptured diaphram. $11 compass repair kit is on order. It ain’t no cessna and flys exactly like a 60 year old vintage plane should. I have flown it everyday with my family onboard and been giving rides to kids around the airport.

That is pretty much what I figured. kinda like some people think faded paint is unairworthy...

Post Thanks / Like

With two different engines an three props I have always experienced slightly increased vibration when throttling back from 2500-2600 rpm to 2300/2400. New cylinders installed 100 hours ago it seemed to lessen slightly but still there. It’s non-issue for me.

That airplane was recovered in Stewart’s just prior to the 2012 SWPC in Ogden, Utah so it shouldn’t have faded paint either. It looked really good at the Convention.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 02-22-2021 at 05:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This one does not have faded paint. I think he was using a metaphor for some peoples perception of airworthiness.