Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PA20 restoration/modification

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA20 restoration/modification

Hello all, I am embarking on the restoration of my newly acquired PA20. It is a 1950 model, Serial PA20-6, so very early. I purchased the airplane last fall from a friend mostly in boxes, as it was stripped down for a recover and they lost interest/space. I am adding the Trimmer seaplane doors on cost sides, the Trimmer fuel system STC, and a Steves skylight. It is currently 0-320 powered, and will stay that way. The goal is for a nice family plane, that can is suitable for some light back country flying. I am an A&P, and am working closely with my IA on the rebuild. I will try to post some pictures as the work progresses. This was the day I bought it.

IMG_0467.jpegIMG_0471.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA20 restoration/modification

Tear down and cataloguing all the parts over the next month. I built a rotisserie to make the job easier.

IMG_1053.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Started on SB819. This fuselage had no external indications that corrosion would be an issue. The person I bought it from is an IA, and even he thought it looked to be in really good shape. After stripping all the sheetmetal parts, it was alarming how bad it was! I ended up replacing 5 tubes, and adding the required tubes for the seaplane doors. Please, anybody that is recovering, take that seriously.

IMG_1169.jpegIMG_1171.jpegIMG_1364.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

On to the fun stuff! Fitting of all the new sheetmetal, and fabricating the seaplane doors. I contemplated widening the cabin by using the later wide sheetmetal parts, but in the end decided to keep the narrow cabin. I am sure I will hate not doing it in the future, but that's in the past.

left door.jpegleft door 2.jpegright door.jpegright door 2.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

During the cataloguing of all the parts, I found this. Any idea where it goes, or if it is for the Pacer at all? It doesn't look like any other part, paint or condition wise.

IMG_1041.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    During the cataloguing of all the parts, I found this. Any idea where it goes, or if it is for the Pacer at all? It doesn't look like any other part, paint or condition wise.

IMG_1041.jpeg
    I attaches to the outer flap hanger inside your wing to route the aileron cables.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect, thanks Steve..

Post Thanks / Like

Sean, Keep up the posts. This looks like a fun one to follow. Paying attention to detail and posting picks keeps you in check. Thanks Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Had a great weekend of progress, and got the latches finished up. A little tricky to get just right, but satisfied with the results. I need to bring the outside handle closer to the door before I drill the through bolt. Here is a question, would it be too much of a deviation from the STC to do an alloy skin on the bottom section instead of the Lexan? I think it looks much better with a painted bottom door half.

IMG_1570.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider changing from lexan to aluminum a minor alteration.