Bungee Boot

smcnutt

SPONSOR
Indianapolis, IN
I was on the Univair site and saw they had a "Piper Boot" that I thought was the one that covers where the control column goes thru the floor. Since it was only $12 I thought I would try it out. However, what I got was not what was pictured and I'm not even sure either is what I'm looking for.

The part I received (picture below back/front) is actually stamped 12729-026 on the inside of the part but obviously doesn't match the picture on the Univair website. Besides the extra cutout it also has only male snaps.
Boot2.jpgBoot.jpg

Here's the link to the Univair page that I ordered it from: http://www.univair.com/piper/parts/12729-026-piper-boot/

So my questions are, What did I actually receive and most importantly, what P/N should I be ordering if I want the boot to cover up the space where the control column goes thru the floorboard?

001_0177.jpg

I had thought of making something but then I saw this for $12 and thought that might be easier. Wrong :frown:

Re: What did I get?

That boot is to cover the bungie cords... There is a matching rear part that has female snaps... The part you have there goes in the front with the cutout going over the flap handle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the boot that covers the front area of the Hydrosorbs and "seals" the cockpit where the shocks penetrate the floor, just below the center of the front seat(s).
Actually there are two parts, front and rear, they snap together and are screwed to the floor.
I believe the mating part with matching snaps is http://www.univair.com/piper/parts/12729-028-piper-boot-rear/.
The lace goes thru the top and they snap together on left and right of the shock tower.

Regarding the Piper Control Column Boot, this is a revised version from Univair, complete with metal attachment frame. $36:
http://www.univair.com/piper/parts/13392-000-piper-boot/

AC Spruce has the traditional style of Control Column Boot but it does not include the metal frame:
Piper PA-22, 1 Pc. Control Column Boot, PN 09-17410 $19.75
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/cs/aircraftcovers_boots/FBframecovers.php (note generic photo, not the actual part for PA20/22.)
If you don't have the square frame that secures the base of the boot to the floor, I suggest the Univair part.

If you are handy with leather work just get a chunk of leather of suitable vinyl fabric (aircraft approved of course) and make your own part.

GG

I used to own a saddle shop and made saddles. I also made a lot of chaps over the years. I have quite a bit of small pieces of split leather if someone wants to make their own.

My 22/20 has a piece of vinyl glued to the cross tube under the seats and *was* velcroed to the floor. The velcro has come loose from the floorboard so it is just laying there. My column boot is similarly amateur. Ahh, more money to spend. :???:

OK, I'm feeling a little stupid here as I just can't figure out how the part I have (knowing it's only 1/2 of 2pc set) could fit around my bungees. When I tried to puzzle it together in the plane I kept running into issues with the seat adjustment lever. Here are some pictures of my bungees and maybe somebody could explain it to me using small words, pictures and speaking slowly.:icon_rolleyes: I guess I'm just a little 'obtuse'.

20150208_142605_resized.jpg20150208_142549_resized.jpg20150208_142435_resized.jpg

Those two screws in front of the cluster should have male snaps in them, like what holds the front carpet in place. The mating snaps at the base of the "leather" triangle secure to those, and the rear leather part has similar mating snaps to hold to floor, and the sides of front and rear pieces together. Imagine the cover of an Indian tipi, sliced in half top to bottom, and snapping it in place to the ground and together around the poles. The string threads thu the sewn chanel at the top as a drawstring. It usually is a crud fit and requires some finagling to make it fit halfway decently.

Found photos of a (damaged) set of bungee covers that was sold on ebay, these pics might help clarify a bit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piper-TriPa...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You could make a front and rear set using your piece as a pattern, but make it about an inch oversize in both axes to allow easier fitting around front and rear of cluster. Glue Velcro material to the "mating" edges instead of snaps (unless you have snap installation tools?) and screws and washers to secure bottom of tipi to the floor.

GG

OK, following along (slowly) with what you and Brian said above, I'm starting to see what you're talking about. However, assuming the half I have (pic in first post) is the front side, the lever for the seat adjustment is in the way. If I pull it up high enough that both the flap handle and seat adjustment lever go thru the big notched slot in the leather then wont reach to the floor.

Like I said, I'm 'obtuse'.

If I pull it up high enough that both the flap handle and seat adjustment lever go thru the big notched slot in the leather then wont reach to the floor.

Maybe those boots were for a 1956-1964 model with the split seats (and two levers). Have you checked a parts catalog to see if that part number matches up with your "year"?

Todd

I don't have the parts catalog but mine is serial #22-2341 if anyone has one handy.

I'm starting to think I grab and old leather coat and a roll of duct tape and go crazy.:???:

58 PA-22/20

I am missing any boot around the bungees and it gets quite drafty. So I order what I thought were the correct boots:

• 1 x -12729-026 PIPER BOOT
  • 1 x -12729-028 PIPER BOOT REAR
They look just like the on in the picture above. Both have "male" snaps so I don't see how they are going to snap together..........

Rich

Here's a picture of the shock tower cover, looking aft from the footwell. Screws secure it to the floor (not snaps as I previously mis-stated) and there are two snaps on either side to hold front part to rear part.
It's from Univair if I recall, and about 25% too small.
Make one from leatherette and lace it together along the sides with long boot laces.
GG
Just realized the image is inverted. Use your imagination.

Attachments

• 1425341581506.jpg
    1425341581506.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 328

Glen:

You might want to take a closer look at the "mouth" of the boot where the flap handle sticks through. I kind of looks like your pleather is interfering with the flaps catch pawl. I think my boot has the "hole" folded back underneath and hemmed.

Best regards,

Todd

Good catch, Todd, I just buttoned it is to take the photo and didn't look at it closely on my phone.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I'll fix it tomorrow.

GG

Univair had an error in labeling of these parts about a year ago. If you ordered the -26 and the -28, you still got all-male snaps. You need to call Rick at Univair to get this ironed out. They sent me the mating cover at no charge.

Lou

How In The World Does This Work

OK Guys,
I bought this shock cord cover from Air Tex. We didn't have the cover on before, so I thought I would try and get things right.
Well I guess I'm to STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID to figure out how it goes on.:-(
Anyone have any pictures of how it goes on???
Thanks,
Jim ( the Stooopid one)

Re: How In The World Does This Work

Just took mine apart and I think the one with the notch goes behind the handle.

Chris

Chris,

I do believe you are correct on that. BUT even when I do that you can't get to the seat lever. I can't figure how the rear one can fit with out a notch for the flap bell crank and the tube brace.
It will probably end up in the trash and just call it a bad experience.:-(
Thanks,
Jim

i would reverse them and cut a slot for the flap lever , also i would cut strips of aluminum and screw down the bottom onto the floor . i was debating whether to make something simmilar to that or make metal covers

You don't need to go to all that trouble. I have these on both my Pacer and Tripacer and they work with no cutting or hammering or sawing. Unfortunately I am away from Phoenix at the time and can't send pictures for a day or so. Probably by the time I get back SOMEONE will have sent their pictures. However if you give it a try one more time, look at it carefully and say 5 times "It is a Shock Chord cover", "It is a shock chord cover". After doing that, all of a sudden the clouds will clear and the earth will move, and you will say Suuuuuummmmmmmbitch, I got it figured out !!! :)

Mine looked like that...but dark blue. The slot went round the flap handle....wire at the top, buttoned together.. Then the bottom was tucked between the shock cords and floor boards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Homer,

Thanks,

So far my clouds are full of rain and my brain hurts:-(
Jim

Unfortunately, mine is apart as I'm doing the annual, but Homer is right ... it's a shock cord cover, not a flap handle cover (if that helps!). It does fit!

That being said, I'm looking at the picture you attached and it seems your hydroshocks seem to attach a lot higher in relation to the flap handle than in my Tripacer. I'll have to look at that when I get to the hangar.

Chris

Jim,

I bought the front half (I presume) of this cover a couple of months ago and after a lot of head scratching simply set it aside. The solution never popped into my thick head. I posted the question and several people tried to help but I just never could make it fit. I ran into the same issue where when I put it where I thought it should be the seat adjustment handle was in the way. Started to wonder if it was designed with the split seats in mind where the adjustment handles are not dead center.

In the end my brain hurt so I put it away. Please post LOTS of pictures once you figure out the puzzle.

Here is my original post http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/showthread.php?9992-what-did-i-get

Last edited:

I may be wrong, but I believe it is the boot that goes over the top of the hydrosorb inside the cockpit.
Dennis

Ok, looked at mine and the reason I never have a problem getting it on is … the front panel has a "post-production" slit cut into it to clear the flap handle!

And my hydro shocks are as high as yours, too.

Chris

Last edited:

Chris,

So yours has a slit in the front???? Rather than the factory cut out. It looks like my front one will work but the rear one needs a slit/notch cut in it. I guess the alum. cover that goes over the tube and flap bell crank will hide anything I screw up
This piece of crap just might go into the tooooooooooo hard pile :)
Thanks,
Jim

The back one has the notch but a previous owner must've gotten fed up trying to figure out how to get the front on so he took a pair of scissors to it.

PA-22/20 Boot assembly shock cord

Good evening gents
I am trying to source the shock cord boot assembly(yes) for a '58 PA-22/20
I found boots on Univair site, but they only say they are for PA-22 but not if they are in fact the front and the back boot assemblies.
PN 12729-026 and 14087-000
Are these the same as Piiper # 12729-03, front and 12729-02 rear?

Thank you,
Grizz

Re: PA-22/20 Boot assembly shock cord

There is no difference in the boot between a PA22 and a PA22/20. I linked your thread with another on the subject.

Ah, welcome to one one of the the great mysteries of owning a pa-22/20. II think it's it's one of of those puzzles that once you get it you realize how simple it is. However getting to that point can be frustrating. I'm still in the 'frustrated and don't get it' camp and I've just set them aside. I figure that one of these days I will run into another airplane that has it installed and I can see it in person and it will all make sense.

If and when you 'get it' please continue to post pictures, diagrams, 3rd grade level descriptions, etc. In the hope that I might someday have that ah-ha moment and join the ranks of the "I got it" crowd. Until that day I shall blissfully fly with naked bungees. :lol:

I just made a new one for wife's plane. Will take pics and post for us all to see. Ours fits over flap handle and bungee,s then tie,s at top and wraps around backside completely enclosing bungees and sealing out that cold northern air.

Back