O235 valve adjustment

Sully

I’ve been adjusting all the valves on my O235. All, except for the #4 cylinder. I’ve been using an adjustable wrench to loosen the lock nuts but the nut on #4 feels like it’s about to round off. There is a tool to do this adjusting but it is around 250 from spruce. The nut is $25. I’m about to just go for it and if I round it off I just spent $25. Still cheaper than the tool. (Assuming I can get off the rounded nut with out doing more damage…) Just curious if anyone had a decent idea before I gamble $25 on a harbor freight adjustable doing a good job for me.

I’ve been adjusting all the valves on my O235. All, except for the #4 cylinder. I’ve been using an adjustable wrench to loosen the lock nuts but the nut on #4 feels like it’s about to round off. There is a tool to do this adjusting but it is around 250 from spruce. The nut is $25. I’m about to just go for it and if I round it off I just spent $25. Still cheaper than the tool. (Assuming I can get off the rounded nut with out doing more damage…) Just curious if anyone had a decent idea before I gamble $25 on a harbor freight adjustable doing a good job for me.

Get an actual wrench, pretty sure its 3/4". Use the box end to loosen it.

I am waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop in on this thread because surely we are getting punked with the adjustable wrench thing right?

Haha. I tried my 3/4 and it is the right size but the cheap craftsman piece of junk is too thick. What I need is a nice snap on version. Maybe I take that tack with my wife. Justify a snap on set.

I have had to grind down tools to get proper clearance to fit. Snap on isn't the end all answer. Last set of base wrenches I bought I had to grind down, it's pretty normal to have to customize tools to work for tight clearances.

Make your own. Socket, drag link(flat screwdriver)

Attachments

• IMG_1290.jpeg
    IMG_1290.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 87
Maybe your IA has the tool you need and will loan it to you.
Sweeten the deal with a nice bottle of bourbon, then when you return the tool you can celebrate with them.

This often works with my IA, however he has been maintaining my Tri-Pacer for 20 years and is only 100 yards away down the hangar row.

GG

When I need to make custom tools I go to the local Pawn shop and grab what I need out of the the Catch all bin.
Usually only a couple of dollars. Get a couple of what you want and experiment til you get it right.

Rick

I am like Rick, I have a drawer full of pawn shop tools just for this sort of thing.

I forgot about pawn shop tools. I’ll thanks for reminding me. I don’t mind tearing up a few bucks with my amateur machinist skills in the hope that I can make something useful.

Glen, if I did what you do, my IA would be able to start his own liquor store!

Back