The Project

sierrasplitter

SPONSOR
Lakeside California
Made a Looooong trip over the weekend to Owasso Oklahoma to pick up a Pacer Project with Chase Franzen . We hope to go experimental Great Trip , met some great folks and saw some cool planes
Got some questions but for now here is the trip

IMG_1214.jpeg

IMG_1216.jpeg

IMG_1223.jpeg

IMG_1226.jpeg

The guy that sold us the project , Troy Woods was kind enough to take us to a local grass strip called Airman Acres . Absolutely Beautiful . They were having their annual Bean Dinner so a lot of nice planes came in

IMG_1231.jpeg

IMG_1238.jpeg

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_1228.jpeg

IMG_1248.jpeg

Any trip to or through Texas requires a Rudy’s stop . Chase had never been to one . His verdict -ummmmm.

IMG_1252.jpeg

IMG_1255.jpeg

IMG_5935.jpeg

Finally home

Rental was one way . Ok -CA . 1450 miles , 32 hours total / 7 hours at a Best Western in Northern Arizona

Stoked for you! Looking forward to the build. Did the service bulletin get done on the door frame? Looks like fresh-ish paint.

It is stock at this point but we plan to stretch it and instal patroller doors
Some odd things so far . We have the Steve’s Aircraft STC and a 337 for the skylight . I’m not sure the work has been done . I will get some pics today
And the brake/ rudder pedals are not mounted in the correct spot Hoping it is the correct set

IMG_1278.jpeg

IMG_1270.jpeg

It did come with a Factory Parts Manual . Never Have Seen One till now

IMG_1289.jpeg

IMG_1290.jpeg

Looking at the pictures the airframe has the required welded in angle for the short version skylight opening. If you want to go with the longer version you would have to cut out what is there and weld in material at the rear spar carry through tube.

E-Mail me, brian@stevesaircraft.com and ask for the current installation package. I’ll e-mail you the PDF. Currently I’m recovering from a two week trip to Scandinavia and will not be in the shop fully until Monday Oct 9

—Brian

I always ask, why Experimental? You likely will not qualify for Amateur Built, so that only leaves Exhibition. There is little advantage to that as Part 43 will still apply to your aircraft. As for the brakes, you have some STC version for rudder pedals and brakes so looking in the parts book will not help. I suspect it is the Williams STC which moves the rudder pedals back almost 2".

Hi,

Those brake cylinders and pedals are what Univair was providing a long time ago with their conventional gear STC, perhaps they still do.

Last edited:
Why bring the experimental.... "why" question up again? The answer is a simple one... because he wants to. This subject has been beaten into oblivion, can we please just this once let it go?

Hi,

There was at least one repair on the tubing, may indicate it's been gone through.

DoorWeld.jpg

Damn Jim , good eye

The latest ? Not much is happening . I do have a graph / chart and yes , we want to try to get experimental. Chase and I have gone in depth what it will require and it will be an uphill battle , trying to get 51% .
We want experimental to do what we want outside of the Certification and to cut cost on things like electronic packages
I also won’t start a long discussion of why , but we are very familiar with options like the SuperPacer STC
I have the AC that covers everything and I’m doing research on things like stick instead of yokes , ect
Ultimately we want a 180 hp , larger wings , fowler flaps , leading edge cuffs ect
I guess it can be summed up as

Its something to do

I fly both stick and yoke aircraft. It is a lot easier to get in and out of aircraft with a yoke especially as I get older. I really don't notice or even think about which I have when I am flying. All the other stuff mentioned are good to have for sure.
DENNY

I fly both stick and yoke aircraft. It is a lot easier to get in and out of aircraft with a yoke especially as I get older. I really don't notice or even think about which I have when I am flying. All the other stuff mentioned are good to have for sure.
DENNY
Sticks keep you limber, ask my Dad. ;)

Cool. Doesn't mean it's better. Is it lighter? Then it's better. Does it give the pilot more feel for what the plane is doing? It's better. Does it allow a pilot a quicker throughput on control function...Think AF Top Gun. It's better. Do fighter pilots fly with a yoke? Not last time I checked. I would love to have a stick in my TP, if it means I have more control or better control. just my opinion. Getting in and out of the plane are secondary considerations unless you're on fire.

although I prefer a stick over a yoke the reason to go with a stick would be the modification itself to get to the 51%

although I prefer a stick over a yoke the reason to go with a stick would be the modification itself to get to the 51%

If you read the FAA policy, modifications and repairs to previously certified assemblies don’t count towards the 51% so making the stick modification would be considered Part 43 maintenance, not part of fabrication and assembly. Get the fabrication and assembly checklist and the instruction document then sit down and have a long talk with the DAR that will be doing the certification to be sure he would accept your analysis on the checklist!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AC-20-27G . That’s what we have . We are talking to a Dar . And hoping somehow we can get 51% . Anything that may count we are considering.
However, I don’t see how taking a yoke driven plane , manufacturing your own stick , brackets and new cables would be considered maintenance

Last edited:
It might be you could benefit from buying an unfinished wagabond project.... use that as your base, it could put you in the sweet spot.

Back