Tri-Pacer Gear Width Needed

N926A

Non-Member
Greetings all,

I need to move a Tri-Pacer this weekend and need the outside gear width in order to find a trailer. Does anyone have that measurement by chance? I have moved to Conroe, TX and need to bring my Tri-Pacer project down from Grand Prairie.

Thanks,
Tim

The Piper Drawing calls the width of the MLG of the TriPacer to be 85 1/4" center of tire patch to center of tire patch on a 1951. A standard "lumber company" 8 foot long plank fills the bill nicely (at 96") without cutting.

There's another "issue" though, if the elevators are installed. The elevators occupy a fraction less than 115" from tip to tip. Don't know what you got there, but this can be a bit cumbersome at a Toll booth, or a gas station (just so your aware of them before you get on the road).

Good luck, don't be in any big hurry and... "straight home" after the airplane is loaded!

Thanks Fellows

Thanks a bunch. That is exactly what I needed to know. I have the trailer lined up, now to do the work.

Just moved a Colt with a Tilt-bed.

Extended Nose Gear & taped a block in place.

No Traffic Lights were harmed!

My Tri with nice new tight cords was 84"outside to outside. My trailer was 83 between the fenders. Now it's 85. The other issue is the tail is over 9' wide. Legal road limit with out a permit is 8' here in NY. Nobody noticed on my 30 mile journey to the airport. Was going to do it on a Sunday morning but did it thru 5 oclock traffic instead.

Attachments

• P1000218.jpg
    P1000218.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 389
  • P5200185.jpg
    P5200185.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Trailering Your Tri Pacer

I am getting ready to go out to Apple Valley California to get my Tri Pacer. I will be trailering ti back to AZ. Do any of you know the width of the main gear from outside of tire to outside of tire with the wings off? I know the book shows the center to center width to be 84", but unloaded it is going to be less. My trailer has 6" lips on each side and it is 83" on center for those lips. I am building platforms that will set on each side, and I am desighning those for the tires to be 84" on center.

Any info would be great

Thanks,
Jason Johnson

Re: Trailering Your Tri Pacer

I have a steel u channel about 8 ft long that I bolt to the top of my trailer when I need to haul a plane with wider gear than the trailer bed. You can find u channel at any iron or steel supply yard. Or borrow mine if you want. Phx

I thought about the steel U channel, I have a 8' section 8" wide that I may use. If youv'e used that before, it sounds like it may work fine for me. I am debating on wether or not to take the elivator off. I will be going up the 15 to Barstow, then 40 all the way home (About 500 miles). I think the only place where I might have trouble is the CA-AZ border.

Here is a discussion on the subject of width. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum/showthread.php?5963-Tri-Pacer-Gear-Width-Needed I believe the tail is a bit over legal width with the elevators on but I have hauled several without any problems.

Our Tri-Pacer when my wife, father-in law and friend helped take it apart and haul it.
attachment.php

For added security, I also anchored the Colt I trailored ( more like "tilt-bedded") home by installing the wing attach bolts and using tie down straps -- in addition to chocking and tying down the wheels -- to help keep it secure. I didn't remove the elevators, either, and had no problems.

I got a flatbed just for moving the Tri-Pacer around. Unfortunately the mains were a little too wide for the trailer between the wheel wells of the flatbed. But I found if I took off the mains and then attached a 2X6 with U bolts and some Harbor
Freight toolbox wheels on bottom it would fit. The axle just clears the trailer fender. My wife calls them roller skates for a plane.

Here is the way we trailered the Colt. Once from Virginia to SC and then from the shop to the hangar.

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

Don't forget about how tall the rudder tip is.

While on a Tilt-bed we had some very low wires.

It may be easier to exrend the nose strut than remove the rudder.

I have to move a tri-pacer from California to Buffalo area. Anyone out there interested? Will pay for expenses.

PeterL

Tri pacer gear dimensions

I'm going Friday to pick up a tripacer project and am trying to get an idea of how it will best fit on my trailer. Does anyone know the distance from the front of the nose wheel to the back of the main wheel? Thanks

Last edited:
Merged your question to a thread on the subject. Scroll up and you should get the dimensions and some great pictures. Be careful.

Thanks Steve,
i saw this post, but it doesn't exactly help with my question. I would prefer to haul the plane facing forward on my trailer so was wanting the measurement to see if the gear will fit in front of my trailer fenders. Oh well I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Looks like about 77" from the front footprint of the nosewheel tire to the rear footprint of the mains. Sorry, didn't realize that dimension wasn't listed. Weight on the tongue of the trailer works better for sure in my experience.

Need to haul a Pacer frame from Oklahoma to Sam Diego . Firewall , no engine . I measured my plane and it’s a few inches longer that 16 feet . Can you fit a tailwheel on a 16 foot trailer ?
Have read a few threads and most are tri pacers

What about building a small extension to the trailer to hold the tailwheel?

Just checked on a 26 foot enclosed truck . Cheaper to fly out and rent tge enclosed truck . Half the drive too ! No trailer needed but thanks guys

Hopefully. I now have a few Pacer driver / Dirt lovers close by . Campfire scuttlebutt leads to dreams . Someone sees a facebook post about a project for sale . Like a six year old on Christmas Eve , minds start to dream . Phone calls are made
Plans are now being made to go get “ tte prize “
Hopefully one day it will be stretched , wide wings , double fowler flaps , 180 hp , yada , yada . Yep - hoping to go experimental.

Only time will tell - will it fly again ? Or will it collect dust and be sold again many years from now ?

I hope before I’m 65 I’m touching down at around 30 mph somewhere in Death Valley in it

Last edited:
Just in case yo do need to trailer it, I have hauled mine on my 14" featherlike. Backwards, tailwheel on the "V". The gear are exactly as wide as the trailer so I had to add a board to the outside on one side and offset the gear, one on the deck, one off. I would recommend checking the height and width of the door opening on a local truck before you go, I could not get it in my 24' enclosed trailer.

Just in case yo do need to trailer it, I have hauled mine on my 14" featherlike. Backwards, tailwheel on the "V". The gear are exactly as wide as the trailer so I had to add a board to the outside on one side and offset the gear, one on the deck, one off. I would recommend checking the height and width of the door opening on a local truck before you go, I could not get it in my 24' enclosed trailer.
Was the engine installed? One of my former employees hauled a ground looped Pacer backwards and didn't install the rudder gusset lock and bent something on the tail. Will have to look at some pictures to refresh my memory.

Back