Tripacer load factor

TexasOredigger

Non-Member
Hello all, I’m new to this forum, please direct/correct me accordingly if I mis-post something.

I’ve also recently bought into a 1959 Tripacer, and looking for info on load factor. The original flight manual has scant info on this and simply states the following:

• Max Positive – 3.8
  • Max Negative – “No Inverted Maneuvers Approved”

Does this equate to no load factor < 0g? Or does it relate to mechanical/fuel system restrictions? Or both, or something else?

A ‘59 TriPacer can be either Normal Category or Utility Category if the Utility kit is installed (removes the rudder interconnect and installs the Colt steering arm and centering springs along with a Flight Manual Supplement). All PA-22s are certified under CAR 3. Under CAR 3 a Normal Category has to be designed to a positive 3.8g and -1.5 g. A Utility category airplane has to meet a positive 4.4G load and -1.8 g. These are the design requirements. The actual limitations imposed by the flight manual are +3.8g and -0 g when operating in the Normal Category and +4.4 g and -0g when operating in Utility Category. Keep in mind that to operate in Utility you have a lower gross weight (1680 lbs) and a much tighter CG range. In Utility you can do spins, steep turns, stalls (except whip stalls) Chantelle’s and lazy 8s. No snap maneuvers and no inverted maneuvers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...All PA-22s are certified under CAR 3. Under CAR 3 a Normal Category has to be designed to a positive 3.8g and -1.5 g. A Utility category airplane has to meet a positive 4.4G load and -1.8 g. These are the design requirements. The actual limitations imposed by the flight manual are +3.8g and -0 g when operating in the Normal Category and +4.4 g and -0g when operating in Utility Category...

Thanks dgapilot! I did notice in the original Flight Manual that the approval basis is CAR 3, and that CAR 3.186 requires +3.8/-1.5g. But as you indicate, the Flight Manual imposes +3.8/0g limitations. Why the seemingly contradictory information on the negative load factor?

Thanks dgapilot! I did notice in the original Flight Manual that the approval basis is CAR 3, and that CAR 3.186 requires +3.8/-1.5g. But as you indicate, the Flight Manual imposes +3.8/0g limitations. Why the seemingly contradictory information on the negative load factor?
Certification standards are usually 150% of what they are approved for. A little cushion. ;)

Back