Upper windshield junction

moto657

Canyon Lake, CA
The windshield to roof junction on my buddies Pacer has a quite a big gap. Wondering what the main issue is and simplest repair path?

IMG_3182.jpeg

IMG_3193.jpeg

I can see the aluminum strip. Looks like the steel u channel of the fuselage was spread out too much at some point. That is usually a tight fit. Also the weather striping at the windshield to the leading edge wing root fairing is not anything like what Piper used and I can imagine leaks air and water like a sieve.

I hate to say it but it looks like the only practical solution here is to remove the windshield. With the windshield out of the way, using a body hammer tap the windshield retainer “u” channel back down for a correct fit. Then, reinstall the window. Trying this with the windshield in place is probably going to damage the windshield. Hopefully, your windshield was not glued in with silicone and will come out in one piece. When you do your fitting, make sure that the fabric retainer strip is installed. The windshield should have “vee” slots to fit around the fabric retainer strip screws. This way the fabric retaining strip does not have to be removed during windshield replacement. It is all in the SB instructions.
N2709P

I hate to say it but it looks like the only practical solution here is to remove the windshield. With the windshield out of the way, using a body hammer tap the windshield retainer “u” channel back down for a correct fit. Then, reinstall the window. Trying this with the windshield in place is probably going to damage the windshield. Hopefully, your windshield was not glued in with silicone and will come out in one piece. When you do your fitting, make sure that the fabric retainer strip is installed. The windshield should have “vee” slots to fit around the fabric retainer strip screws. This way the fabric retaining strip does not have to be removed during windshield replacement. It is all in the SB instructions.
N2709P

This all makes sense. I’ll send my buddy the link to this thread and the SB instructions.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Stevesaircraft half skylight option installed that they would share? Especially pictures during construction and of the final finished product. I find the pics on their website a bit wanting for clarity and thoroughness. Anybody?

Ever since I did the update on the Skylight STC in 2008 all of the installations I have done recently have been the long version. I have lots of pictures on my facebook page.

here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151866901890216&type=3
here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151690122225216&type=3
and here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.79407640215&type=3

The short version is basically the same you just weld in the support structure at front of the speaker instead of the rear carry through tube.

--Brian.

I went through that decision when Brian restored my 22/20.
If you sit in your plane and tape a string in the location where
the short Skylight will be on the short version. I think you will
find out that it is not that big and if you look straight up you will not have
as good a view. Sunshine in the summer (Southern Utah) really does not
get near as warm as I was worried about. we did use as dark a Plexiglas
color available and worked our very well.

When I was restoring Andys airplane I had him sit in our Pacer with the short version and then our Tri Pacer with the long version. It did not take him long to go with the long one. All of the installs I do I use bronzed acrylic plexiglass. Very dark tint. There is also some lexans you can get with UV barriers.

—Brian

I'm not doing a skylight. Don't need the weight, extensive work/modification, nor do I want the sunlight above me. I prefer the natural shade of the fabric roof and looking out into the light. I DO need a better and stronger windshield interface to my fabric roof so I don't peel the roof off when I'm swooping alligators. A forced landing there...would be bad. So, I bought the Univair kit and it showed up today. Instructions start out with "remove the windshield". Just shoot me. I guess if I don't crack my old one, I can reuse it. Also, I put in a beautiful new headliner last year and now I'm going to be peeling it back from the contact cement on the forward cross tube. Sucks. The kit includes a strip of pinked tape to be installed across the front, that goes into the channel and curls around the top. I already have a strip of straight cut tape there. Should I soak my existing tape with MEK and remove that strip, or lay the pinked tape over it after sanding down below the silver? I have a nitrate/butyrate Dope fabric system. Any tips appreciated.

I think you can do the modification without any fabric work but it has been a while since I did one. I see no reason to remove a straight tape to install a pinked tape.

Back